House Facade Cleaning

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit
Rank 1
Rank 1

House Facade Cleaning

Post by Kit »

The rendering on our house is becoming increasingly streaked and discoloured and we wish to renovate it.
In the last couple of weeks three different tradesmen have cold-called by knocking on our door and have offered to clean the rendering.
I'm hesitant to use any tradesman who only supplies a portable phone number and they all quote different prices.
Each sings the praises of their product but I don't know what is in these cleaning products or which is the best one to use.
Does anyone have any experiences to share/tradesmen to recommend please? Thanks!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

When you say rendering is it stone or plaster which has been painted?
Dylan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Not very useful to help you find the right artisan Kit, but in my experience, cold callers are rarely a safe bet. If they are cheap, then you must probably expect to get what you pay for. The fact that they have no base would worry me too.
Others may have had positive expériences but I have only heard of negative. In particular, and without wanting to sound racist, this is a known gypsy trade, and although they might do a good job, if they dont, they are unlikely to still be around to put right any problems.
I know of an elderly couple in St André who booked a team of two men who came to their door, paid half up front as asked, and havent seen them since. I'm not saying they are all like this - but be careful.
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

Great advice from Kate.

When we'd lived here - here being in the Ariège - for just 2 weeks, a couple of guys turned up to our middle-of-nowhere farmhouse, walked around and pointed out (sorry :lol:) that our stone walls needed repointing. Actually, they didn't - the local style is simply a kind of mud and lime mix which might look to outsiders as though it's failing, whereas it's perfectly correct - but being so new I obviously didn't send them on their way forcefully enough and they duly turned up every year to tell us the same thing again. In year two I was on the ball enough to realise that they were simply 'doing the rounds' - the car reg was 23, Creuse - and my invitations to leave the premises got more forceful each year until a couple of years ago they simply didn't come.

But there are those out there with the ability to sniff out what they consider to be easy prey. Definitely best to avoid anyone who cold calls, and seek out recommendations even before asking for devis.
Caroline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Caroline »

I've just had the facade of my house cleaned and painted by a really good professional team who did a full survey of the cracks, and gave me a proper quote. The 'gypsy, who called round last year just looked at the house for 2 minutes then gave me a price and then got quite cross when I said I wanted another quote first!

The company is called RCI - 0641996456
Caroline