Air con unit

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

lynda
Rank 2
Rank 2

Air con unit

Post by lynda »

I bought an air conditioning unit in the Uk and brought it over in my car and have used it successfully here for ten years -just for my bedroom . However since we have moved the windows are of a different design and now I can't put the end of the hose out of the window and close it easily -Does anyone have any idea if the French produce something like a tumble drier inside the house unit that collects the hot air -when there is no outside wall as that might do the trick -I know you can get them in uk -or else I might get one on Amazon and get it delivered -thanks Lynda
lyndyloo
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

Yep, easy to get here - Boulanger, Darty, amazon.fr .... Look for a 'kit condenseur sèche-linge'.

And hello from another semi Villelongue person!
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Air con unit

Post by Allan »

lynda wrote:I bought an air conditioning unit in the Uk and brought it over in my car and have used it successfully here for ten years -just for my bedroom . However since we have moved the windows are of a different design and now I can't put the end of the hose out of the window and close it easily -Does anyone have any idea if the French produce something like a tumble drier inside the house unit that collects the hot air -when there is no outside wall as that might do the trick -I know you can get them in uk -or else I might get one on Amazon and get it delivered -thanks Lynda
I can't see how this idea can possibly work. Condensing tumble dryers take the humidity out of the exhaust air but the heat still stays in the room.
You can just collect heat in a container.

You can buy air-conditioners that work by evaporation and don't need an outside vent but I would think your cheapest option would be to buy a through the wall venting kit like they use with non-condensing tumble dryers.
lynda
Rank 2
Rank 2

Air conditioning unit

Post by lynda »

Thanks for all the info for the TV -we were watching Masterchef live last night -wonderful via my I pad and Apple TV and film on free app that you told me about !
As for this air con unit we think a plastic box with a hole in it and ice might do the trick as we can't get the vent out of the window and making a hole in the wall or window would cost a lot of money and then there at folding shutters as well! Amazon won't deliver the one I wanted to France - it is used for people with no outside wall for their tumble driers . Many thanks again Lynda
lyndyloo
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Air conditioning unit

Post by Allan »

lynda wrote:Thanks for all the info for the TV -we were watching Masterchef live last night -wonderful via my I pad and Apple TV and film on free app that you told me about !
As for this air con unit we think a plastic box with a hole in it and ice might do the trick as we can't get the vent out of the window and making a hole in the wall or window would cost a lot of money and then there at folding shutters as well! Amazon won't deliver the one I wanted to France - it is used for people with no outside wall for their tumble driers . Many thanks again Lynda
Good luck with it but if I remember my physics correctly, the heat output by a 6,000 btu air con unit will melt 18 litres of ice in an hour.

If you find out that I am right, investigate evaporative air-con units.