Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Does anybody know why Skype isn't working. It has been out of action for about a week, a real bummer when you have grandchildren in another country!

Anyway, Happy Christmas to one and all and a big thankyou to whoever sent us such a beautiful Christmas Day!

Daphne
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Mine is working ok Daphne. Over the last couple of weeks I have had problems. One moment it showed I was on line, but I wasn't and couldnt go offline. Another time I was off line and couldnt go online. Close any programmes you have open and try doing a system restore.
Dylan
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Thanks for replying Sue, but it unfortunately didn't work. Our family in Madrid tried it also and it didn't work for them either. As soon as you switch on a notice appears that Skpe is unavailable! We have tried Skyping England to no avail, it might be from my end.Maybe we'll have to contact a help line. Not me though, i'm useless!!!!!!!!!!!!
Libby
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Libby »

Have you tried cancelling and re-installing?
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Mine's working.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Sounds like it's your computer Daphne. I'm no skype expert but it might be worth checking that you have a latest version of it and Flash player. Or you are not running some other internet application that might interfere it like iPortal. Think about what you may have changed since it last worked.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Thanks, I have installed Firefox and it has messed up a few things, I'll try again without Firefox! I never thought about that!!!!!!!!!
Mimmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

skype and firefox

Post by Mimmi »

On my computer it's no problem with skype and firefox. I have used skype a lot this week. It worked fine. As Libby mentioned reinstalling skype might be the solution.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Thank you, I'll try re-installing it, there doesn't seem to be any other solution.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I have just tried it with Firefox running and iPortal connected with no problems. Have you tried connecting to their sound test service?

You could check to make sure that your firewall or anti-virus isn't blocking it. Try disabling them temporarily but remember to restart them after the test.

Russell.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I use Malwarebytes anti virus and for a while they blocked my Skype but not hubbies. All seems OK now.
Dylan
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

I am up and running again thanks to our son deleting the programme and re-installing. However, it didn't work for our son in Madrid but we managed to see our grandaughter today using Skype on her i pad. Many thanks to those of you who took the time and effort to try and help.

Wishing everybody on Anglophone-Direct a very happy, healthy and prosperous 2014!

Daphne
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Happy New Year to you too Daphne.
Dylan