Aircon units: cost, installation, recommendation....?

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Phipplebert

Aircon units: cost, installation, recommendation....?

Post by Phipplebert »

Does anyone know a vague cost of fitting aircon units to a house? We are looking at possibly 4 units for 4 bedrooms, no need to be reversible (house has central heating and a fire).
Are there different types of aircon (non portable, I would like a fixed to the wall system)?
Is there anything else we should be aware of?
Can anyone recommend a person or company who can do this? French or English speaking. [/list]
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Aircon units: cost, installation, recommendation....?

Post by Allan »

Phipplebert wrote:Does anyone know a vague cost of fitting aircon units to a house? We are looking at possibly 4 units for 4 bedrooms, no need to be reversible (house has central heating and a fire).
Are there different types of aircon (non portable, I would like a fixed to the wall system)?
Is there anything else we should be aware of?
Can anyone recommend a person or company who can do this? French or English speaking. [/list]
You should get a survey done to work out how much cooling you need, this is a function of the room size, building materials and expected solar gain.

You should look at a split system with indoor and outdoor units, Daikin make an outdoor unit that will drive 4 indoor units. Most modern systems are reversible and the added functionality doesn't add much to the cost. Reversible units provide heat at a much lower cost than central heating.

Quietness is important. Particularly if you want to run them all night.

As for cost, it depends on how powerful they need to be. I fitted out 3 large bedrooms a few years ago for around €5000

I can recommend Bailloeuil in Perpignan
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

When I needed air con at my old shop the I purchased 2 of these...
http://www.vial-menuiseries.com/climati ... p4045.html
and the landlord fitted them himself. It's not a DIY job for the faint hearted but equally it isn't brain surgery either. Whether or not you choose to do it yourself at least this gives you a good idea of the cost of equipment. These units ran 24 hours a day for over a year with no problems. Total cost at the time was around 2500 euro including labour. Other quotes were more than twice that.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I seem to remember that buying the units fitted meant that VAT was at the lower rate for the whole deal, whereas a DIY solution would mean the higher rate.

At one stage reversible air con also attracted a tax rebate as it is deemed energy efficient.

In both cases you need to check, rules change.

You can normally get a discount on most quotes
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I have two split units. A double for downsairs and a quadruple for upstairs. They are both reversible. Had them for 7 years now and almost no problems. I have Sanyo and Hiyasu. The Sanyo is better.

The cost was about 12 000 to fit the whole system. That was during the tax-rebate so, as usual prices are inflated so the suppliers can cream off the rebate instead of the customer, but even so, I think it was good value and our energy bills are pretty low compared to people I talk to.

The guys who fitted them were complete idiots so I wouldn't recommend them. They are probably out of business anyway - another consequence of subventions.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Watch out if going for DIY types... we have a Honeywell Reversible 'preGassed' split unit and unfortunately this model cannot be Refilled!!! Crazy....
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

montgolfiere wrote:Watch out if going for DIY types... we have a Honeywell Reversible 'preGassed' split unit and unfortunately this model cannot be Refilled!!! Crazy....
It must be possible for a competent heating technician to fit a filling valve surely?

I fitted a prefilled DIY reversible unit about 8 years ago. (€275 from Brico Depot) It has been refilled once because I didn't seal the joints well enough but has worked ever since.

Yes, it's definitely worth getting a reversible one. The running costs are about 1/3 that for heating directly with electricity.

Russell.
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Thank you so much for all the replies. Handy info as usual. I will go off to investigate and contact the recommended people. There are a number of things there I didn't know / had not thought about so I can go off a little more informed now :)
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Please let us know what you decide in the end.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Yes will do, it might take a while as I imagine asking for it to be installed when its hot would be like asking for a pool engineer ;) ; everyone wants one ;) but I will report back with our findings. Thank you again.