second hand car

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

mammadee
Rank 2
Rank 2

second hand car

Post by mammadee »

Does anyone know of a good reliable second hand car dealer in the Argeles area? Our Fiat Punto is getting rather long in the tooth and really needs replacing.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

We have bought from both the Citroen Garage and from the small Garage Du Littoral. The latter is just a privately owned small garage of 2 mechanics and nothing ever seems too much trouble for them. They have a variety of makes and prices. The Citroen Garage in Argeles is linked to the larger Citroen Garage in Perpignan and again we have found them very helpful.
Dylan
mammadee
Rank 2
Rank 2

second hand car

Post by mammadee »

Thank you for that. It's really helpful. Will definitely give them a go when we are in Argeles in a couple of weeks
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Having had exeedingly expensive problems with the computer side of second hand cars (peugeot/citroen) and with regard to the high prices of them we went down the road of a basic, no computer, no frills etc. New Dacia . with 3 years guarantee i am sure it will work out better value for money than buying a secondhand car!!!
These computer controlled engines seem ok for about 5 /7 years but after that it is another story.... (would you trust a computer to be reliable that has lived for 7 years under the bonnet of a vehicle with all the associated heat, damp, dust, vibration, cold etc.!!!!)
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

montgolfiere wrote:(would you trust a computer to be reliable that has lived for 7 years under the bonnet of a vehicle with all the associated heat, damp, dust, vibration, cold etc.!!!!)
Yes, I would, provided that Microsoft had nothing to do with the software :lol:

Seriously, I agree that the old cars with no electronics were much easier, and cheaper, to fix. Does this model really have no ecu?

Russell.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

M Dacia Logan is a car with no electronics, no Aircon, no central locking , no electric windows, no Computer. so there is very little to go wrong and not all those extra bits running off the flywheel!!! you can actually see the engine and work around it!!!!
Our only 'luxury' was to install a Radio/ CD Player.
I went with the petrol model as i beleive it is tried and trusted Renault engineering from the days before they all got lost down the computer/sensors all over the place + Dual Mass Clutches, little DIY maitenance etc etc. etc etc....!!!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

montgolfiere wrote:M Dacia Logan is a car with no electronics, no Aircon, no central locking , no electric windows, no Computer. so there is very little to go wrong and not all those extra bits running off the flywheel!!! you can actually see the engine and work around it!!!!
Our only 'luxury' was to install a Radio/ CD Player.
I went with the petrol model as i beleive it is tried and trusted Renault engineering from the days before they all got lost down the computer/sensors all over the place + Dual Mass Clutches, little DIY maitenance etc etc. etc etc....!!!
From what I understand, all vehicles in France are being sold "only" with the on-board computer for polution. This is the OBDII compliance. Look under your steering wheel and you're going to find the plug needed (within 18" of the wheel). My Kangoo is located within the fuse box under the steering wheel. When you put your key into the Dacia, do you have a few signals within your dashboard.

Ask for google and see if Dacia owns a on-board computer (OBDII) and you'll be able to view the video that Dacia shows their computers. I think that most cars sold within Europe since 2004 carry these computers.

I'm not a pro-computer car owner but it was started (polution controls) in California and finally this arrived here. I got rid of my last Discovery since this computer would shut down the engine in the middle of the road. This computer is a cash cow for the garages and few of them can figure out how to determine the codes provided. I bought a Autel "MaxiScan" (MS509) and I learned enough that the computers are not for my needs.

I'm sorry but Dacia didn't give you want you wanted, I think.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

There ain't no computer plug in my Dacia. remember it is a Petrol engine...

that Terrible renault DCi engine is another kettle of junk. (My Meccanic advised never!!!)
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Have a look at this photo package. You'll find your plug found at the back of the glove box. I was found after calling a friend who has a similar car.

http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/location ... odel=logan

Enjoy!

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

It has the plug!!!! but i have a hunch that it isn't actually connected to anything, butas the plug is there it does conform to the regulations !!!!!!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I couldn't find the specifications but most of small petrol engines are fitted with electronics for the distributor system and the engine will have injections which need electronics to control this part of the engine.

Look around on car parts on ebay for carbs or points - these are gone as the doodoo. Rotors have gone too. I think we've past of simple engines.

I still have the word "Clinker" in my vocabulary but nobody knows what I mean anymore. It came from using coal in furnaces. Points and carbs are now with the "vocabulary of old people". Teens smile when we use these words.

But have a look within your engine compartment, you might find a flatish part which is about 10" X 10" X 2" and has a small cannon plug on one side, this will be the end of that connection in your plug in your glove compartment.

Hmmm! Even Coal Furnaces are going to the past too.

Blackduff
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

blackduff wrote: Look around on car parts on ebay for carbs or points - these are gone as the doodoo. Rotors have gone too. I think we've past of simple engines.
Well there are still some Dacia carburettors around:http://www.weiku.com/products/13541889/ ... ck_up.html but I doubt that a new car fitted with one would meet the emissions standards for the EU.

Montgolfier,
Does your car have airbags? They contain a computer.
Windscreen wipers? Ditto.
Speedometer? Ditto
The list just goes on.

Russell.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

the computer that p****sed me off on the Peugeot HDi and other ultra complicated cars was the one that switched off the car as you were driving along and then would not let you restart the car before you locked and unlocked the car. That was when it would start at all, or even run at more than 'limp' mode. I have a feeling that the Dacia one hopefully is as rustic as possible and if it just controls the wipers and airbags,speedo etc. that will do for me!!! we change nearly everything but the faults just kept on coming with the electronics.....never again.
mammadee
Rank 2
Rank 2

used cars

Post by mammadee »

Many thanks to Dylan for advice about Garage du Littoral. Have just bought a nice Berlingo - plenty of room for grandkids, washing machine etc. Sorry but disregarded stuff about computers in cars. The more gadgets the better!!!!!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Happy to help and glad you have found something suitable. Long may it run.
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

I wish you 'Bonne Chance'