Gas water heater repair

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Gas water heater repair

Post by CD »

Yesterday our gas water heater decided to stop working. Of course it would happen on a Sunday...

Never mind I thought, people will be working on Monday - wrong!

So it looks like we'll have to rely on friends and neighbours to keep us clean for a while longer.

The pilot light for the heater works fine, but when you turn it so that it will heat water on demand, the flame goes out. As best as I can work out, this is most likely to be a fault with the heat sensitive valve that controls the flow of gas to the main burners.

Hopefully it will just need a repair, but I could do with some recommendations, if anyone has any, for someone in our area (Prades) to fix / service the water heater.

I don't want to call someone out all the way from Perpignan and then get hit with some ridiculous mileage charge.

Any recommendations as 2012 fades out?

Cheers (and a happy New Year to all),

Chris
DaveM
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DaveM »

You might try Pierre Dickely (of Prades). Doesn't speak English but a very pleasant young plumber who made a fine job of fixing our central heating when it failed majorly a couple of years ago.
06 86 57 82 28 at the last count.
DaveM
CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CD »

Many thanks Dave,

I've left him a message (which I hope he will understand!).

Cheers,

Chris
J-Paul
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by J-Paul »

Unfortunately Pierre Dickely has moved back to Strasbourg following the sad death of his wife a couple of years ago.
I can recommend a young plumber from Prades who did the plumbing work on our shower room last month. His name is Jerome Julia mobile number
0623 9222 28.
joffan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by joffan »

I had Jerome Julia recommended to me last year. I rang and left 2 messages (in French) but he never got back to me.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

There is an outfit called Supaclim or similar in Prades / Codalet . The main guy is very intelligent and has good English. Does good work.
If I can find his name and number I will post again.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CD »

Thanks for all the replies.

Of the messages I left on peoples phones over New Year, the first to call back was from Eus and he and his mate duly arrived as promised 20 minutes later.

They agreed with me that it must be the thermocouple, which only took a few minutes to remove.

It will interesting to see how long it takes them to get a replacement and how much it costs. I can get one for under £10 in the UK...

Maybe I'll check their part number and lay in a spare.

I'll report back on how it works out.

Cheers,

Chris
CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CD »

We have hot water again!

It took 24 hours to get the part, so we were up and running again in just over a day.

Very happy to have had a quick response and solution (although it was not the most difficult thing to fix).

29 euros for the part, 40 euros for the labour.

Pretty good for rural France.

The guy that did the work is Cedric Wargnier from Los Masos 06 14 47 47 81

Very pleasant and prompt. Did everything as promised, so he gets a thumbs up from me.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. A great example of how this forum helps us all.

Cheers,

Chris