One Way Van Hire

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

scotty210
Rank 1
Rank 1

One Way Van Hire

Post by scotty210 »

Has anyone else had any dealings with a company called One Way Van Hire whose office address is in Torre del Mar, Malaga?

We hired a van from this company to travel from Scotland to the PO in mid-January.

We paid a substantial deposit in advance, which we were informed would be refunded to us 4 weeks after we returned the van.

It is now 7 weeks since we returned the van (in the same condition as when we collected it) and despite numerous e-mails, we are still waiting for the deposit to be returned.

I would welcome any feedback from anyone who may have used this company in the past.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

scotty210
Rank 1
Rank 1

One Way Van Hire

Post by scotty210 »

Thanks for the info Sav, although it does not make pleasant reading!
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: One Way Van Hire

Post by Sav »

scotty210 wrote:Thanks for the info Sav, although it does not make pleasant reading!
No problem
Hope you get a beneficial conclusion

Cheers Sav :)
steveoliviareid
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by steveoliviareid »

Hi Scotty,

I've only just read your post from earlier in the year. We also used One Way Van Hire and also had huge problems getting our deposit returned. I had to wait over 4 months, despite many phone calls and emails. In the end I went back through Barclaycard, who credited back the monies.

The vehicle was poor, once the mud came off the tyres I could see that we were running on Dunlop Kojaks, the power steering also went, so I now have forearms like Popeye.

I am seriously thinking about reporting them to trading standards in the UK, they are a very shoddy outfit!

Steve
Steve Reid
scotty210
Rank 1
Rank 1

One Way Van Hire

Post by scotty210 »

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear of your problems in having your deposit returned.

I eventually did have my deposit returned - after 14 weeks, and umpteen e-mails and phone calls to the company.

Unfortunately, after searching the internet for any feedback from other people who have used One Way Van Hire, it is all too obvious that this company tries to withold deposits for far longer than their own stated time limit, for no other reason than in the hope that customers will eventually lose patience and just give up trying to have their deposits returned.

Also, I concur with your assessment on the condition of the van. The van I was given was in a shocking condition, and I made the journey from the North of Scotland to the PO praying all the way that we would not break down!

All in all, a horrendous experience.
Mosesofk
Rank 0
Rank 0

No deposit back..... Yet 8 weeks and counting.

Post by Mosesofk »

I hired a van from one way van hire of torre del mar in Spain to get my in laws back to the uk as because many English living abroad knows money is tight.

So when I read the contract supplied by Jeremy Griffith about a 350 euro deposit held for 4 weeks I stated this is a very long period, to which I got the reply it provides ample time for fines and damage whilst traveling through Europe to come back. Fair enough but this period of time whilst contracted is completely at the mercy of Jeremy and when he has time to return it.

Firstly we got the van back a day early and took photos of our van in the location as requested. 5 weeks later when I ask for the whereabouts of my deposit Jeremy claims the last who processes refunds is away for a further 2 weeks and that I would now have to wait till week 7 to get my deposit back, whilst I protested in email I never got a reply until 8 weeks later where I was informed that there was a budge in the tyre and they had to replace at the cost of £95, Jeremy COULD NOT provide evidence that this was our fault other than sending us a photo of a tyre with a bulge and for all I know this was a tyre sitting in his office used regularly. He is not willing to provide evidence claiming that my emails were getting rediculous and he's sick of people damaging his vans. I've not got time to waste with this and sent an email acknowledging that he can take £95 and return the remainder of the deposit. For which I did as requested. We're now faced with problems putting money back on my card and asking for my bank details and IBAN numbers to put money back into my account. We're coming into week 9 and I am ringing his office every day and emailing for updates to which I get very sketchy responses.

Even the details of the damaged changed 3 times from damaging the wheel and tyre to letting it run flat to just having a bulge which would go unoticed. He claimed he took 12 photos of the van before renting it out as he had just put a full set of brand new tyres, of which he refuses to produce.

Honestly if this was a one off you would just presume that you did this and it went unnoticed but we are very certain the van was returned in the same condition as was rented and a special order tyre did not have to be placed at £95. But after looking online in various forums the evidence is stacking against one way van hire as this being a regular occourance over more than 2 years. I think its been allowed to continue because people using one way vans often have little money and aim to not return to Spain. Mostly ex pats.

I however also run a business and own a villa right near one way van hire and am out there in February of which I will be presenting a formal complaint. As it is something that cannot be allowed to continue.

This company cannot be allowed to hold money out of contract for people who don't have that sort of money to just leave in his care for over 2 months NOT 4 weeks, it causes stress and countless emails and phone calls. Very very poor business Jeremy

I now have done EVERYTHING asked of me to get my deposit back. And I can only HOPE this is done soon.

I urge any person sensible enough to review companies before they use them to see this review.
ChristineM
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChristineM »

Sorry, but they are registered in Spain, under Spanish law.

Most companies refund the next month, it gives them a extra month of interest with your money.
One way rentals, whether it be by "Europe-car" or some one Woman/ Man band charge considerably more than a normal rental. The so called reputable companies charge a premium to hire in Gerona and drive to France!

Every one is out to make a buck, you either accept this or you will be disappointed living abroad. Whilst in India, the locals charged us Brits 20% over the top, Pakistan 15%, Goa 10% , plus the CC exchange rate. You are a foreigner in their country, you get screwed.

American Cruise ships visit Venice, the prices rise by 200%, and the Yanks pay it ??

:oops: :oops: :oops:
“The surest way to be alone is to get married”

Gloria Steinem
Mosesofk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Agree but......

Post by Mosesofk »

When the company / man woman is a Brit them selves I'm not a foreigner in their country. It has both UK and Spanish offices.

I don't mind being charged a premium as I agrees to 760 euros for one way for 3 days hire. But to then not get a deposit back when the contract states 4 weeks.

Your being ripped off by your own countryman!
ChristineM
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Agree but......

Post by ChristineM »

Mosesofk wrote:When the company / man woman is a Brit them selves I'm not a foreigner in their country. It has both UK and Spanish offices.

I don't mind being charged a premium as I agrees to 760 euros for one way for 3 days hire. But to then not get a deposit back when the contract states 4 weeks.

Your being ripped off by your own countryman!
And ! The Brits are some of the biggest easy buck companies going, They are not your countrymen, they live in the Sun in Spain, whilst you live in snowy cold UK.
Pool cleaning, Car hire, English food stuffs.
Just because they speak a similar language to you does not make the Holier than I! , In this time of a world recession Ryanair have many ancillary charges, but we pay them all. It i the way of life!

Brits earn more than the French or Spanish, its a fact of life. So we will get conned more than them :oops: :oops: :oops:
“The surest way to be alone is to get married”

Gloria Steinem
scotty210
Rank 1
Rank 1

One way Van Hire

Post by scotty210 »

Christine M,

This company clearly state in their contracts that the refundable deposits paid by their customers will be returned 4 weeks after the van is returned to them.

From my own experience, and judging by various forum reviews posted by other customers, this clearly does not happen in many instances, and many customers have to chase and chase to have their deposits returned,
after returning their vans in the same condtion as when hired.

Surely you cannot think this is ok?
ruby
Rank 2
Rank 2

one way van hire

Post by ruby »

Hi,

We used this company to travel from the UK to France, we arranged to pick the truck up from Norfolk. When we arrived we were taken to a parking area and there she was ..... a bright PINK truck with strange writing all over it... then it would not start!! a mechanic fixed the problem and sent us on our way - next day we were ready for the off - on our way we had heavy rain and the window wipers broke then just into France we were stopped by police who took us to a weigh bridge then told us we could not complete our journey unless we purchased two new tyres, as the current ones were of different make and had low tread - so we followed them to obviously there brothers car garage purchased the tyres and we were on our way ....

we had no problems getting our deposit back & we also got the money for the tyres BUT the van was a pile of crap - moral of the story - perhaps shop about and remember the cheaper the quote/ cheaper the service .maybe ...
Ruby

Property Management, Holiday lets & Property Sales in Dept 66
www.lesjoursheureux66.com