Bouganvilleas

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Bouganvilleas

Post by Rose »

There are some amazing bouganvilleas growing up the sides of houses in Laroque. I have no earth next to our house but have noticed some in pots. Has anyone tried growing them in pots and if I put one in a large pot, will this work. Any advice would be welcome.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Well my first one in a pot (purple) didn't live and according to Sue of Sue and Paul fame she thinks we are too exposed. Not one to give up I am trying again but with the orange one which seems to be more sturdier. What I have done though is to temporarily put it in a sheltered place for the winter until it establishes itself. As yet it has not attached itself to the climbing frame so is able to be moved.
They are beautiful and I would love to be successful.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I think Sue is right. After several futile attempts to get one going,I asked a bloke at a Garden Centre in Spain where I was going wrong.

" it is muy importante,senor, that it is kept out of the wind" was his response.

When I pointed out that this was PO we are talking about ,where it blows at least force 6 for 364 days a year,we both agreed that perhaps bougainvilla was not the best choice of plant for John Towers.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

The purple are the most sturdy in our area. The red are too delicate for our climates.

I have some put alongside of my building. They are open towards the Tramontane. Each year, and we covered them each year too, and we lost the whole growth of the plants. We had to cut down them and start each sping.

I have had, and maybe still have, some looking direct to the South. They live in a large pot and it seems to be happy. But, they're not great, like it could be in the ground. This photo shows the plant in the Teal coloured pot but it's not real large that time.
http://www.pyreneesmediterraneanliving. ... -6_JPG.htm

For the other plants, this gives a different aspect.

http://www.pyreneesmediterraneanliving. ... 02_JPG.jpg

or

http://www.pyreneesmediterraneanliving. ... 57_JPG.htm

Blackduff

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

It's funny that different colours seem to do better. It's a purple one that is well established on a house in Laroque.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Purple is, I think, the original colour.

Normally, newer strains and colours of plants are more delicate than the original.
Arthur and Lyn
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Arthur and Lyn »

Rose
We are trying exactly the same experiment as you, having had one die in our garden 2 years ago. As we have been away for about 8 weeks, I have no idea yet how successful we have been. I saw a massive purple one grown up the side of a hotel on a greek island and that was in a pot so we might be lucky.
That said I think Sue is correct about the wind, our garden is completley walled to a fair height and yet the wind can still pick up an umbrella in a wrought iron stand and throw it around.
Arthur
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

Yes. It 's vey difficult to find a spot in the garden which is not windy. I am going to try with a purple one and I also want to plant some Bird of Paeadise plants.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Rose wrote:Yes. It 's vey difficult to find a spot in the garden which is not windy. I am going to try with a purple one and I also want to plant some Bird of Paeadise plants.
We tried Bird of Paradise in a sunny but relatively wind free spot. They flower but not profusely. We have been fairly disappointed with them.

I hope you are more successful

Good luck