Foraging and Kindling

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

Dilly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Foraging and Kindling

Post by Dilly »

Hubbie and I are about to complete purchase of house near V les B so looking forward to a big taste of French living. :D

Does anyone know what the French laws are regarding foraging, i.e. kindling, berries, nuts, funghi, etc. I know that the French are really possesive of produce on their property, only if it has dropped to the ground, etc. How do you know where you can and cannot gather? Which areas of the valley/mountains are permitted?

I would appreciate some advice before I commit a faux pas.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Hi Dilly and welcome, husband called Dally :wink: :lol:

I hope your move goes well, and you will certainly enjoy the French living, good luck.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Hi Dilly
I forage along the vines in my area. I can find lots of mure (blackberries), figs, leftover grapes after the vendange has finished, wild aspergus, wild flowers and mushrooms.

I spend a lot of time walking the dogs between the vines, so there's a big selection of nice nature.

Welcome to France too.

Blackduff
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

To answer your original question, no problem with foraging as long as you are not on any land where you had to climb over any kind of barrier (wire, fence etc) to do it or there are signs "voie privée" or similar.

If you climb or drive up the road above V-l-B to the Col de Jou, there is plenty of forest and up at the pass there is parking and a steep climb on your right to the top of the hill from where there is a fantastic view as well. Pretty steep, though - you need to be in quite good form or have plenty of time!

further, between V-l-B and Fillols (road to Taurinya) look for a picnic place on the left where there are also fantastic views and plenty of forest. It's at or very near the Col St Eusèbe.
Dilly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dilly »

Thank you for your reply Roger.

Are the areas you mentioned part of a National Park?
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Not to my knowledge, but there are forum members who live in Vernet les bains who should know. We did see people gathering wood last time we were up there and they looked like "visitors" not "owners" or wardens etc.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Foraging is pretty much acceptable so long as you are not taking something which is being grown for use. Don't go picking grapes before they've been harvested or peaches from orchards. Do not go digging for truffles. You will probably get shot for that.

Wild mushrooms, wild leeks, herbs and the like are fine.
Chris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chris »

Out of interest - what on earth do truffles taste like to justify their price?
Am I deprived for not having ever tasted one?
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I've had white truffles once in Italy. It was in a bean soup. It was wonderful but it's wasn't much of it. They use a razor to pass a bit onto the soup.

I even had to pay the meal, even with truffles.

Nice meal though.

Blackduff
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Although expensive, a little goes a long way and they can be used to flavour many things. On New Years Eve we had slices of foie gras with slices of black truffle on toast - delicious.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I've had them a few times,but certainly do not agree that they justify the exorbitant price tag.

One tip I heard once was to put a small piece of truffle in a jar with a larger quantity of ordinary mushrooms. Then seal the jar and leave for a week. In that time the mushrooms take the taste of the truffles. I've never tried it,but is this an old wive's tale?
Tiffany
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiffany »

Truffles are really really pungent and tend to make everything pong of truffle if they're anywhere near - they wouldn't need a week to make the mushrooms smell of truffle. The traditional way to make a truffle omelette - the liaison of truffles with eggs is legendary - is to put a truffle in a container with the eggs you want to make the omelette with, and then make the omelette adding bits of the truffle to the mix. The smell of truffle is quite earthy.They are considered up there with caviar as they are extremely difficult to find and virtually impossible to cultivate. They also need very exacting conditions in which to grow. They have a very delicate, earthy flavour. The really desirable truffles are from the Périgord , the black truffles -the white ones from Italy are considered a bit second class, and beware truffles from china! I recommend the 'brisures' which are little bits of truffle in a jar ready to go, and use the juice for flavouring sauces.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Sunday 8th February 2009 - Lesquerde

Foire de la truffe - Truffle festival

For the ninth year running, Lesquerde hosts the Foire de la truffe, which traditionally takes place on the second Sunday of February. Apart from the truffles and Lesquerde wine, there will be a local product market.

This is from Kates what's on. Truffles there I thought were very reasonable and very interesting seeing the different types of Truffles along with their growers and dogs, and a plant that they sell, which I think they use to produce the Truffles. I think worth a visit..along with excellent wine, not that I am bias mind you. :wink:
Chris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chris »

I'm too late this year, but I'll diarise the second weekend in February next year.
I'd love to taste truffles, and , as I've said before, I have a very, very high opinion of the wines of Lesquerde.
Il's sont a mon gout; peut-etre ne pas au gout de tout le monde, mais, neanmoins, j'aime ca que j'aime!
(Is that correct? Corrections always welcome.)