Banned from the beach

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

Richard and Sharon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Banned from the beach

Post by Richard and Sharon »

Anyone got any idea of the logic/risk behind people not being allowed on the beaches in Occitane any more?
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Banned from the beach

Post by Merisin »

Very few people live within walking distance of the beaches. Therefore those wishing to use them will have to travel further from home than is sensible under the current restrictions. Thus closing the beaches removes a very real temptation.

Merisin
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Great idea, just need to police the walkers and cyclists still taking a trip to the countryside now(•‿•)
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I think that there were quite a few people taking to the beaches, particularly with this lovely weather, in groups, families, kids etc so it was decided that the only way to stop this was to ban everyone.
Sue234
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sue234 »

Hello, I have a related question: does anyone know whether the Sentier Littoral between Banyuls and Argeles is completely closed or not? My 1km radius for walking my dog takes in the easier and less dangerous bits of the coastal path between the Commando fort in Collioure and before you descent the steep steps towards Plage de L’Ouille. It’s a routine circular walk for me from my home and there are no signs on any of the approaches to say it’s closed. A week ago I was informed by two gendarmes that it was closed but they didn’t seem sure, nor were they local. I’ve since asked several people out walking and they all say it’s still open. I’ve searched online and not got anywhere near a definitive answer. Anybody know anything about this?

Thank you and keep well.
Florence
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Florence »

The voie verte goes right past my house. There's a barrier at each end of a 3km (approx.)section with a sign saying route barrée. I can't see the logic because the path is wide enough to pass with a 2m distance. You are only allowed to go up to 1km from home for exercising.
Rombolo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rombolo »

The answer to your question is look back to the UK. The government, for once, treats the public like adults, 'asks' them to adhere to the lockdown/ social distancing advice, clearly gives the health and scientific reasons why they should......and still some people flout it and gather together like cattle in parks and beaches having BBQs and sunbathing and even attack the police when they dare to intervene.

No-one is an exception from catching the virus and/or then passing it on. Stay at home, quietly do your bit to protect others and the people who are most at risk by just doing their jobs....caring for the rest of us.
Sue234
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sue234 »

Hello again,

Just to add to my previous post, for anyone who may have the same question as I had, there are now signs up along my local stretch of the Sentier Littoral to say it’s closed. Thanks for your contributions.

Sue
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

To see how far you are allowed to walk on a map go to https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/carte
Type your address in the search box and you will see a map centred on your house.
Click on the spanner near the top right
Click on "Measures"
Click on "Calculer un isochrome"
Select Isodistance
Set your point of departure by clicking on the centre symbol then on your house
Set distance of 1 km
Click on "Calculer"
You will then be presented with a shaded area within which you are allowed to walk.

Russell