Walking club that allows dogs - Tech valley?

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Walking club that allows dogs - Tech valley?

Post by Sus »

Hi, does anyone know of a walking club/association that allows dogs to be taken on the hikes, only interested in the Tech valley? Thanks
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

U3A meet up for regular walks and have no problem with dogs as far as I know. Have done a couple of great walks with them with my own hairy kids.
https://u3apo.org/

Or there might be a few people around that would enjoy meeting up for an occasional dog walk. I certainly would.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I don't have a dog (for the moment) and am not likely to be walking in the Tech valley soon. But I was surprised by the idea that you needed to check, with the implication that some groups exclude them. Have you found some that do?
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

We are back in September and enjoy walking with other people's dogs.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

Kate wrote:U3A meet up for regular walks and have no problem with dogs as far as I know. Have done a couple of great walks with them with my own hairy kids.
https://u3apo.org/

Or there might be a few people around that would enjoy meeting up for an occasional dog walk. I certainly would.
Thanks for the link to the UA3, I will contact them about dogs.

Anybody else interested in joining up for the occasional walk, please let me know.
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

martyn94 wrote:I don't have a dog (for the moment) and am not likely to be walking in the Tech valley soon. But I was surprised by the idea that you needed to check, with the implication that some groups exclude them. Have you found some that do?
I have contacted 3 associations so far and none allows dogs, one is the main one in Ceret. I thought that was rather strange but what prompted me to write the post was the expression "normally" dogs are not allowed, which makes me now suspect it might be the case for most. Not sure whether this an insurance thing or what ?!? At any rate, a hike is not a hike for me without my dog :)
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

Owens88 wrote:We are back in September and enjoy walking with other people's dogs.
Great, just ping me and we can maybe meet up.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Sus wrote:
martyn94 wrote:I don't have a dog (for the moment) and am not likely to be walking in the Tech valley soon. But I was surprised by the idea that you needed to check, with the implication that some groups exclude them. Have you found some that do?
I have contacted 3 associations so far and none allows dogs, one is the main one in Ceret. I thought that was rather strange but what prompted me to write the post was the expression "normally" dogs are not allowed, which makes me now suspect it might be the case for most. Not sure whether this an insurance thing or what ?!? At any rate, a hike is not a hike for me without my dog :)
Are they the sort of earnest folk who walk with poles? There's a steady stream of them coming past my house, and on reflection I've never seen anyone with a dog: I suspect that they might find it a bit unserious, even apart from the risk of getting sued. (And anyway you'd need three hands.)

It always amused me when I worked a few yards from the Palace of Westminster - pretty much tourist central in London - and saw groups of very sober-looking Northern Europeans with trekking poles, as if they were on the way up the Hindu Kush.
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

martyn94 wrote:
Sus wrote:
Are they the sort of earnest folk who walk with poles? There's a steady stream of them coming past my house, and on reflection I've never seen anyone with a dog: I suspect that they might find it a bit unserious, even apart from the risk of getting sued. (And anyway you'd need three hands.)

It always amused me when I worked a few yards from the Palace of Westminster - pretty much tourist central in London - and saw groups of very sober-looking Northern Europeans with trekking poles, as if they were on the way up the Hindu Kush.
I have no idea as I never went since I want to be able to take my dog. But people with walking sticks can look rather serious, I have never tried them myself but recently wondered whether it would be good to have an additional something to lean on but on balance, I have always preferred to have my hands free.