Burglar proofing your house

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

VioletHernandez
Rank 0
Rank 0

Burglar proofing your house

Post by VioletHernandez »

Hi guys,
I am preparing for my cruising to the heart island with my husband. We used to visit the aquarium, park, etc during the weekends but this is our first time going for a long trip. I am over excited and bit worried at the same time. Our home resides in a burglar prone area. And I am little worried about the home security. I read that you should notify the nearest police department about your travel that they keep an eye over your property. Some of our friends suggested getting a home sitter but I am not interested in it. How can we trust him/her? What can we do if she loots the house and runs away before we reach? I don't think it is a good option. I came across an article which describes some tips that help in burglar proofing the home (http://cspalarms.ca/blog/home-security/3-security-advances-that-will-burglar-proof-your-home/). I think security systems are better since they give alerts to the monitoring center if something bad has occurred. But now the question is how do we choose the best home monitoring company? I would like to know how you people choose a company? What are the features you are expecting from their system?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Burglar proofing your house

Post by martyn94 »

VioletHernandez wrote:Hi guys,
I am preparing for my cruising to the heart island with my husband. We used to visit the aquarium, park, etc during the weekends but this is our first time going for a long trip. I am over excited and bit worried at the same time. Our home resides in a burglar prone area. And I am little worried about the home security. I read that you should notify the nearest police department about your travel that they keep an eye over your property. Some of our friends suggested getting a home sitter but I am not interested in it. How can we trust him/her? What can we do if she loots the house and runs away before we reach? I don't think it is a good option. I think security systems are better since they give alerts to the monitoring center if something bad has occurred. But now the question is how do we choose the best home monitoring company? I would like to know how you people choose a company? What are the features you are expecting from their system?
My own system is to have nothing worth stealing. You get broken into once or twice, and then the word gets around. I've only ever stayed in other people"s houses with zone alarms and passwords and CCTV and all the rest, and I found it thoroughly unpleasant. But it's evidently a matter of taste, and your mileage may vary.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

And. Violet be careful where you publicise your travel plans, and your selfies while you are there.

J
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Owens88 wrote:And. Violet be careful where you publicise your travel plans, and your selfies while you are there.

J
If you live in the "inner city", as I do, it's obvious enough that you're away if you shut the shutters. I sometimes wonder whether it's counter-productive. Our local villains go past my house a dozen times a day: if it's nice, they know what I have had for lunch.

The same applies more generally to Violet's query. The precautions which might make sense where I live might be quite different in the depths of the country. But Violet doesn't say. It's safest to assume that none of them will work, and take appropriate precautions with anything compact and seriously valued.