Fertiliser/engrais - rabbit, sheep or hen?

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

mrsq53
Rank 0
Rank 0

Fertiliser/engrais - rabbit, sheep or hen?

Post by mrsq53 »

Does anyone know where I can buy allotment manure or fertiliser? Our allotments get the council 'cooked' weeds but I would like to feed my allotment with something more nourishing this winter.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

We had a chap come to the door last week asking if we wanted any. I just pointed at our all gravel garden!! :D I have seen it in bags similar to compost bags in Netto at Le Boulou and in garden centres. It is called fumier.
Dylan
mrsq53
Rank 0
Rank 0

Compost/muck/manure

Post by mrsq53 »

Thanks Dylan. I've seen the garden centre/Leroy M stuff and was hoping for something cheaper/locally generated! However all answers/advice most gratefully received.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Dylan
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I'd stay away from those bags of terreau, they are not fully composted and contain few nutrients.

Arterris is a chain of cooperative farming/allotment suppliers. They sell organic and non-organic fertiliser.

Fertilisers are defined by their NPK content. That's Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium. Usually, the P isn't needed much here but N and K are. Comparing the figures will tell you how potent the fertiliser is. Also, organic N releases at a slower rate than chemical N.

Alternatively, contact you nearest riding stables. I did it once. Now I buy fertiliser :)
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29