Potager buddy?

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

oulibede
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by oulibede »

Thank you Kate and CPB, that's very helpful.
malcolm4664
Rank 1
Rank 1

Update on bedding and vegetable plants in Ille Sur Tet

Post by malcolm4664 »

Any one who knows of them will be pleased to learn that his son, Michel has taken over the Fonquery Nursery in Ille sut Tet. It also appears that he has dragged the operation into the 20th Century and now takes credit cards and cash, no cheques though.
There is a very good web site on www.fonquery-horticulteur.fr and an email address at michelfonquery@orange.fr
The web site is very informative giving information and opening hours.
There is also an excellent planting guide in pdf. format.
Finding the place is tricky, there is a Google map on the site which is not very clear. It's best to turn off the main road just after the town centre car park and head South. With the car park on your left just after the CA bank on your right at the crossroads go straight over for 400 metres. At the next main crossroads turn left. After 800 metres cross over railway and then a narrow river bridge, At the bridge exit make a sharp turn left into the car park.
It is not a help yourself place. Best prepare a list of what you need and hand it in at cash desk. One of the staff will accompany you to the correct greenhouse and select the plants you need. They will also show you what else is on offer and fill your tray for you. Two of the younger ladies and Michel like to try their English out on you. You pay at the cash desk on the way out.
I have no financial interest in them except that they sell an excellent product at a fair price.
PS. Michel asked me to advise buyers of their plants to harden their new plants off in a garage or shed for at least a week before planting out to avoid failure.

Apologies to Kate and forum readers for printing the original in upper case. As am nearly blind I was using my new Braille key board coupled to a 24" monitor to blow up my text. Looks like the software had a mind of its own and decided to do its own thing. All is now fully sorted complete with speech, albeit with an American accent and spelling. 08/03/2015
Last edited by malcolm4664 on Sun 08 Mar 2015 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
malcolm4664
Rank 1
Rank 1

JUST AN AFTERTHOUGHT.

Post by malcolm4664 »

ON OUR MONTHLY VISIT TO LIDL IN CLAIRA RIVESALTES WAS IMPRESSED BY THE EXCELLENT QUALITY AND REASONABLE PRICES OF THEIR PLANTS.
ON OFFER WERE ENGLISH ROSES, GERANIUMS/PELARGONIUMS,VARIOUS SHRUBS, NOTHING OVER 3€.

AS A BONUS THEY HAVE ALSO OPENED UP AN ON SITE BAKERY. WE VERY RARELY BUY BREAD FROM SUPERMARKETS BUT WHAT WAS AN OFFER LOOKED SO GOOD THAT WE BROUGHT SEVERAL LOAVES TO TRY AND WERE NOT DISAPPOINTED. NEAREST TO AN ENGLISH BAKERY FOR TASTE AND CRUST NOT ONLY THAT BUT THE BREAD SLICER WAS A WORK OF ART. WORTH TRYING ESPECIALLY AS NONE OF THE LOAVES COST MORE THAN 1.95€ ON THE DAY WE WERE THERE.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: JUST AN AFTERTHOUGHT.

Post by martyn94 »

malcolm4664 wrote:ON OUR MONTHLY VISIT TO LIDL IN CLAIRA RIVESALTES WAS IMPRESSED BY THE EXCELLENT QUALITY AND REASONABLE PRICES OF THEIR PLANTS.
ON OFFER WERE ENGLISH ROSES, GERANIUMS/PELARGONIUMS,VARIOUS SHRUBS, NOTHING OVER 3€.

AS A BONUS THEY HAVE ALSO OPENED UP AN ON SITE BAKERY. WE VERY RARELY BUY BREAD FROM SUPERMARKETS BUT WHAT WAS AN OFFER LOOKED SO GOOD THAT WE BROUGHT SEVERAL LOAVES TO TRY AND WERE NOT DISAPPOINTED. NEAREST TO AN ENGLISH BAKERY FOR TASTE AND CRUST NOT ONLY THAT BUT THE BREAD SLICER WAS A WORK OF ART. WORTH TRYING ESPECIALLY AS NONE OF THE LOAVES COST MORE THAN 1.95€ ON THE DAY WE WERE THERE.
"Nearest to an English bakery" is a slightly double-edged compliment, but I agree that Lidl's pre-cooked bread is better than some.