Beautiful little bird!

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

Jonzjob
Rank 1
Rank 1

Beautiful little bird!

Post by Jonzjob »

We have a problem with birds flying into the large windows at the front of our house. Not that often, but too frequent. I have made some raptor silouettes that hang in front of each window and it has helped.

3 days ago a tiny bird hit the kitchen window and I rushed out to see if it was OK. It was struggling on its back. I picked it up very carefully, as I normally do, and held it loosely in my hands. I have found that the warmth helps them. It struggled again and I let it climb onto the top of my hand and then onto the sleeve of my fleece

It stayed there for several minutes and then climbed onto the fronto f my fleece and up to the zip where it stayed for about 20 minutes. I just talk to them in a quiet voice and it seems to settle the poor little things

It was a siskin and such a lovely little thing and after it had rested it flew off, touched the window again and flew away.

It is a real privilage to be able to help these tiny beauties, but I'd be happier still if I never had to do it again?
John.
Now that I know what it's all for, it's either worn out or fallen off!
http://jonzjob.hpage.com
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I so enjoyed reading your post and looking at the photos. There is such a feeling of calm. Merci.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

from Helen

Lovely photos, John, but more important, what lovely feelings you have.
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

Great stuff! The photos look more like a serin - which are regular visitors around us in the PO and have a beautiful, canary-like, warbling song.
Jonzjob
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jonzjob »

I stand, sit and lie corrected Rob :oops: I tryped serin and it came out siskin but as normal I have a dislek-sick keybaord, but then I have to admit that I have never ever made a mastike befour 8) :oops: :oops:

This is the view out of our lounge window, so you can see the target that the birds have!

That's our breakfast sat on the table and we get a lovely view of all the birds. We are very lucky to have found this place!
John.
Now that I know what it's all for, it's either worn out or fallen off!
http://jonzjob.hpage.com
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

beautiful litle bird

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

from Helen:

Apart from his tender heart, John has an extraordinary talent for woodwork. Just take a butchers at his site. His creations are delightful.