Wetlands

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

Phipplebert

Wetlands

Post by Phipplebert »

Hi :)
I just wondered if there were any wetlands near here? I see that by the Villelongue Lycée there is a big lake and next to it a bit which is slightly like wetlands - few heron etc there today. Are there any larger areas?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Wetlands

Post by Allan »

Phipplebert wrote:Hi :)
I just wondered if there were any wetlands near here? I see that by the Villelongue Lycée there is a big lake and next to it a bit which is slightly like wetlands - few heron etc there today. Are there any larger areas?
There are loads, all along the coast from Canet upwards.

Not long ago there was masses of pink flamingos in the Canet Etang
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Oh fab, with birds etc? (Not necessarily flamingo's), I enjoy taking picture of birds and spent a super few days in the Poitou-Charente taking pictures in the wetlands and wondered if there was anything near ish here (I was supposed to be on a club med holiday but couldn't help sneaking off!).
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

The lake behind the Lycee isn't too large but it's nice to visit. There are a lot of various birds there too. You can find there with your car and park within the lake area. It will not allow you to drive all of the way around but you can walk all around, if you want.

Lots of students in the summer time, since it's a great lunch break place. You're going to see quite a few dogs being walked free. My Labs love this place too.

For more photos, find where the Tech passes under the bridge between St.Genis to Brouilla. You can follow some paths and follow the river towards the sea. Between Brouilla and Ortaffa is good for checking the herons there.

http://www.pyreneesmediterraneanliving.com/

This photo album has quite a few shots of the Tech near to Ortaffa. Sav has been posting a lot of photos from that area too.

You can walk along the river from Ortaffa to Elne but it's kinda rough. I used to ride the bike along that area but it's easy to be lost.

If you look around in Palau, there's a small lake there too, adjacent to the Tech. This is "Walkable" too. Great for having a lunch/picnic there. Some birds and lots of trouts too.

Good clicking along the Tech.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

We have a l'agouille near us, in the morning there are often herons in the field behind us. They are very brave birds as the dogs get really close to them before they decide to fly off. Ducks have finally come back and pretty sure there going to be ducklings soon( they all disappear during hunting season). Love walking along there to see what there is , have never been all the way to the end but I think it goes into the marées.
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Thanks for all the info, I think the place near Canet is more like what I am looking for. I have been to the lake near the Lycée and the damned river near Le Boulou etc but was looking more for a wetlands type of area where there are egrets, waders, heron, storks, cranes, coypu etc.
:) thank you.
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

I also see that there are eagles around hear...I look forward to seeing some more of those but probably not close enough for a decent photo! ;)
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Chateau Valmy has some people who fly eagles during the summer. This might be close enough for taking photos.

There might be more information on the Anglophone-Direct records about time, etc..

Nuria is a Spanish ski area which has a fun cog-wheel train which climbs up to the ski area. I've seen golden eagles flying below our train when we went up. This was in the winter time but I'm sure that the summer ride would be good too.

The drive to Nuria was about 3 hrs from Sorede to Nuria.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

IMO the best wetlands locally are just over the border in Spain. The Parc Natural just south of Empuriabrava is well worth a visit. There are several hides and resident deer as well as storks, flamingoes etc.

Mary
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Oh we have not been to empuriabrava yet....that sounds very promising, not far from here and with hides too :)

A summer trip up the mountains sounds good as well, although I'm afraid in the winter all I can think of is skiing ;) :D
John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by John & Elaine »

We saw 4 eagles over the lake at Darnius recently. I'm no twitcher but thoroughly enjoyed watching these beautiful creatures making the most of the warm air currents.

John
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29