Wasps - help please!

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

pennycsf66
Rank 1
Rank 1

Wasps - help please!

Post by pennycsf66 »

With the sun after the cold, we have thousands of wasps swarming around our pool. We do have a problem every year with these paper wasps (the ones with the dangly legs) but nothing like today!

Does anyone have any advice to get rid of them, please? We used to buy a product which was a wasp repellent made by Retro, we haven't been able to find this for some years although Retro are still making repellents for snakes and other unwelcome visitors.

Thanks
Penny
Supporting all those touched by cancer
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Try HTH Chasse Guêpes

http://www.hthpiscine.com/files/fiche/2 ... .fr_FR.pdf

You should be able to get it at Metca in Rivesaltes or other pool shops
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Kapo choc. It's effective from up to six metres and destroys the nest. I've used it from ground level on a wasp nest on the eves (rez de chausee). You can get it at most DIY outlets.

Fortunately paper wasps are nowhere near as aggressive as the normal wasps.

Russell
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Before you buy and start to send fumes into the air, a lot of the bees are being killed together with the wasps. Have you seen many bees in your area. There's a big reason-everybody is killing the honey bees, trying to get rid of the wasps. I only see less than the normal of the bees last summer.

The physical wasp traps catch and kill the bees too.

Buy a good fly swatter and use this to get the wasps shifting.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
pennycsf66
Rank 1
Rank 1

Wasps - help please!

Post by pennycsf66 »

Thanks for your suggestions. We have been particularly careful in the past to seek out repellents not killers. And I agree that the paper wasps are fairly friendly, but you cannot imagine the quantity surrounding us today!
Penny
Supporting all those touched by cancer
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

blackduff wrote:Before you buy and start to send fumes into the air, a lot of the bees are being killed together with the wasps. Have you seen many bees in your area. There's a big reason-everybody is killing the honey bees, trying to get rid of the wasps. I only see less than the normal of the bees last summer.
As an ex beekeeper I agree but, rather than sending an aerosol into the air, the product I suggested sends a jet of liquid directed at the nest.
Buy a good fly swatter and use this to get the wasps shifting.
Unfortunately if you have a wasp nest near your swimming pool thyat is like "tilting at windmills"

Biggest threat to the bees in this region is the Frelon Asiatique which is becoming established in the Alberes. If you see any you should report the sighting to your local beekeeping association.

Russell.
Jonzjob
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jonzjob »

Sorry for the delay, just seen this.

I had a paper wasp nest under the window sill by the door of my workshop. I got the nearest spray I could fine and sprayed it and the wasps with WD40. The wasps died almost immediatly!!! I was both surprised and pleased :P :P

I also use it on ants that insist on nesting on the top of a wall in our summer kitchen. God stuff that!!
John.
Now that I know what it's all for, it's either worn out or fallen off!
http://jonzjob.hpage.com
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »