Deer

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Deer

Post by opas »

I have been touring in this area for about 20 years. In that time I have seen a few rabbits, smashed a car up hitting a donkey looking for its friend at 5 am and shocked a sanglier at the same unearthly hour :roll:

But today I have been to le Pertus with my daughter and grazing at the side of the road was a Deer and a fawn ( if that is the correct term for a baby)
That made my day, hope that no one gets it.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Cool!
Every time I drive from here to Thuir I pass a warning sign for deer but have never seen one. So I'm glad they really exist. I was beginning to think they were like Unicorns.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

It is lovely to see Deer, we see a lot of Roe Deer where we are nearly every day, they come on our land, and I still get the thrill of seeing one as tho it's my first time, we hear them bark in our wood, I love the wildlife here. It must be great to see them down in the PO especially with their young.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

they can be dangerous... a friend of mine hit one on the A.61 and it made quite a mess of the front of his car. Sanglier can also cause a lot of problems when they wander into the road. They are mighty solid!!!
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

They can be dangerous, they jump from anywhere onto the road, also can carry Lyme Desease, which I caught last year from a tick. If your very unfortunate to knock one down you have to report to the Gendarme and stay with it until they arrive, it's quite a long drawn out process.....but they are lovely to see in the wild.

We had a "tame" Sanglier in our garden last year, she wondered around while we were gardening, didn't bother us and we certainly didn't bother her until she badly damaged my sons car, we had to in the end call the Mairie that organised a Hunter, unfortunately she had to be shot, she was going blind and senile, so would eventually be dangerous. It was quite an experience for us and our grandchildren to see a Boar in the flesh and quite close up. She was 120 kilos, so quite a big one.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.