Taxe d’habitation?

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Taxe d’habitation?

Post by Kathy »

On the main page of PO Life the article about Taxe d’habitation says that payment is due by Nov 20th. I find this at odds with our dates for payment which has always been December for taxe hab and October for Fonciere. Has something changed? I haven't yet recieved our Taxe hab bill.
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi Kathy
Just been sent this by impots. Doesn't mean it's true tho! :lol:
Will see if I can find any more.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

OK thanks.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Ours arrived about three weeks ago.
It says, date limite de paiement 15th November.
The amount due will actually be taken from our account on 25th November (automatically).
It's gone up - a lot!!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Yes, I've checked with the impots and I'm afraid its about right Kathy. :twisted:
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Well I haven't received a bill yet either!

My foncieres was due 15 October as usual, and I have to say I, like Kathy, thought it was 15 December for the d'hab!

It must have changed this year for some reason without anyone knowing. :lol: :roll:
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Going slightly off thread.
I know that whoever lives in the house on 1st January is the person who pays the Taxe d'Habitation for the whole year.
We are moving out this week, emptying the house and moving back to England permanently.
However, I don't suppose the house sale will be finalised until the New Year.
Will we still be charged Taxe d'H for the whole of 2011 do you think?
Don't know why I'm asking - pretty sure we will. Seems unfair to me.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

If I remember rightly, we agreed with our seller that we would pay her for the months that we lived in the house. So I ended up giving her a cheque for Aug - Dec.

Your purchasers should pay you for Feb - Dec, I would have thought. Mention it to your agent.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Phew, that's a relief.
Our Taxe d'Habit was almost 900euros so it would come as a really nasty surprice this time next year.
Will mention it to the notaire when we meet today.
Thought it was just customary to pay the whole whack and can see the sense of it if moving within France.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I don't know if that's the norm, Pol, or if I was too kind (or stupid)! Speak to the notary or your agent to find out what is normally done.
JayneG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JayneG »

When we bought our house this year the notaire brought the subject of taxes up at the final signing. He calculated the amount due and it was noted in the contract that we had paid and that the seller would meet the bill later in the year, with no further claim made of us.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Thanks for checking Kate. Until a bill arrives though they won't be getting paid until we are able to go personally into the office in December. How annoying to change things without notice!

On the other matter Pol we paid part of the taxe from when we purchased the house until the end of the year. I am not sure whether it is obligatory or not but only seems fair.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I know someone in Toulouse who received theirs today, with payment required by 15 December.

This subject has also been raised in the other place.

http://the-languedoc-page.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=5397
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Well happen it's a case of the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing in the Tax Office. :lol:
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Well happen it's a case of the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing in the Tax Office
Have to say that when I rang up about the lady I spoke to 'didn't really know' and 'would pass me on to someone who, it turned out 'wasnt quite sure'... Gave up after that.

Here is official info in French for anyone who needs some toilet reading!

Impôts locaux
Taxe d’habitation et contribution à l’audiovisuel public : incident technique sur le paiement en ligne
Publié le 16.11.2010

Un incident technique rend momentanément indisponible le service de paiement en ligne sur "www.impots.gouv.fr".

Les contribuables non mensualisés ont jusqu’au samedi 20 novembre 2010 (minuit) pour payer en ligne leur taxe d’habitation et leur contribution à l’audiovisuel public, le prélèvement bancaire ayant lieu jeudi 25 novembre 2010.

Il est également possible de choisir le prélèvement à l’échéance, l’adhésion étant ouverte par internet jusqu’au 15 novembre minuit (avec un paiement le 25 novembre). Les contribuables non mensualisés souhaitant s’acquitter de leur taxe d’habitation et de leur contribution à l’audiovisuel public par titre interbancaire de paiement, par virement, par chèque ou en espèces ont jusqu’au 15 novembre minuit pour les régler. A noter que ces échéances concernent particulièrement les résidences principales ainsi que certaines résidences secondaires, la date limite de paiement pouvant également être fixée au 15 décembre pour les résidences secondaires ainsi que pour certaines résidences principales.

La taxe d’habitation et la contribution à l’audiovisuel public des particuliers figurent sur un même avis d’imposition. Pour 2010, le montant de la contribution est de 121 euros en métropole et de 78 euros dans les départements d’outre-mer. La taxe d’habitation et la contribution à l’audiovisuel public sont à payer en même temps et par le même mode de paiement. Les personnes qui n’ont à payer ni taxe d’habitation ni contribution à l’audiovisuel public ne reçoivent pas d’avis d’imposition. :lol:
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

That does clarify it somewhat. Officials everywhere are the same, I wonder how anything gets done.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I have today received my taxe d'hab invoice, which needs to be paid by 15 December and is 121€ as stated in the French blurb on the previous page.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

I presume you mean the audiovisuelle is €121 Euros. If your taxe d'hab was €121 you would be jumping for joy methinks.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Well yes! :D
emg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Taxe d'habitation

Post by emg »

I have received the bill for the Taxe d'habitation. I'm renting the apartment I'm in, ie I'm not the owner. Can anyone please tell me if I still have to pay it?
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Taxe d'habitation

Post by Roger O »

emg wrote:I have received the bill for the Taxe d'habitation. I'm renting the apartment I'm in, ie I'm not the owner. Can anyone please tell me if I still have to pay it?
Yes! The person(s) occupying 01 January of the year involved pay. You should have been advised of this when you signed the contract (clause embedded) with the owner.
Further, you should have received the bill from the owner and not directly from the tax authorities.
Included also would be the bill for ramassage des ordures (rubbish collection).
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
emg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Taxe d'habitation

Post by emg »

Thanks, Roger!
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

I deal in Logic!
emg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Taxe d'habitation

Post by emg »

Thanks again, Roger.........looks like I've already missed the deadline......can I still pay it now with no penalty?
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Depends on when you received the demand and if the letter was registered so you can prove receipt was too late!
I.e. if your landlord sent it too late, and you can prove that you should be able to negotiate a refund of any surcharge involved due to lateness of payment!

See for further into on the subject in general
http://www.french-property.com/guides/f ... s-payable/
Paras 5.1.3 and 5.2

As I am not an expert on this subject (except that we rented a property in Antibes for 7 years and were involved in such payments as tenants),
I would prefer not to go further into the subject and possibly risk misinforming you on "legalities", etc!!

Cheers,
Roger
I deal in Logic!
emg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Taxe d'habitation

Post by emg »

Thanks for your help, Roger.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Mine arrived in the UK today, like Thumbelina's, it has to be paid by 15th December.
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Snap! Mine turned up in the UK today too, with a payment date of Dec 15th..
ryanm63
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ryanm63 »

Snap... mine too. Arrived in UK with 15 Dec payment date - sent cheque today, so even with 'escargot poste' it should meet the deadline!!
Regards

Malcolm
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Having suffered from 'escargot mail' in the past, the last couple of years I've paid both domestic taxes online. Once set up, it's very straightforward - and, actually, the setting up wasn't that bad either.