Moderator: Moderators

mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

swimming pool winter storage

Post by mand »

Hi,
our swimming pool uses chlorine.

does anyone know what we have to do to put it into winter storage?

thanks
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Sorry to be thick here,mand,but are we referring to the swimming pool here,or the chlorine?

There are others who can give a much more detailed idea of pool hivernage than me,but as far as the chlorine is concerned,I just keep it in a cool,dry place wrapped up in plastic and away from kids,animals and foods.
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

Hi John.

no i should have been more specific. the swimming pool is what i am refering to we don't know how to put it into winter storage.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Where you are there is no frost danger so I wouldn't bother to drain the filter. There are special winterising products available but I just leave the pump running for an hour or so at night (heures creuses) and add chlor multi fonctions tablets to the skimmers when the previous ones have been used up.

You can then have your new years day swim if you wish :D

Russell
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

It is important that the pool is not emptied over winter. The natural winter water table can "float" the pool upwards causing damage risk.

There are three options :

1) part empty pool; empty pump, filter, skimmers & pipes. Add hivernage and cover until spring. Process can be done when the water temp drops below 15C

2) Put cover in place and programme the pump to run for a couple of hours during the night (say starting at 02.30). Add normal Cl blocks as needed (when the water is below 10C, blocks last around 6 weeks). Reopen in Spring.

3) Do nothing ! i.e. leave it open and continue adding Cl and cleaning. It will use more Cl and need plenty of cleaning as winter winds blow dust and leaves into the pool.

If you have consistent freezing temperatures No 1 is essential - and many have a hors gel heater by the pump and filter.

With occasional overnight temperatures below zero No 2 works OK (I put an old winter jacket over the filter). The coldest temps are around 03.30 and the water circulation prevents freezing by taking warmer water from the bottom of the pool.

No 3 is OK if you don't have freezing temperatures and the pool is not exposed to wind and leaves. Otherwise it becomes hard work.

I've got more notes here : http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/property/pools.htm

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

Thank you, Also can you tell me how do you do a sand backwash and how often should we do it?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

mand wrote:Thank you, Also can you tell me how do you do a sand backwash and how often should we do it?
Turn the pump off.
Assuming you have a multiway valve turn it to the backwash position, then turn the pump on for a few minutes.
Turn the pump off again and move the valve to the rinse position
Turn it back on for a minute
Turn it off and put the valve back to the filter position
Turn it back on
Top up the water level

Most sandfilters have a transparent window so you can see the muck coming out and the water getting clearer. Make sure the water level doesn't get too low or you will lose pressure.

How often is determined by how dirty the pool gets, a good guide is the pressure gauge - generally the pressure gets higher the more clogged the filter is. Don't backwash too often.
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

Allan wrote:
mand wrote:Thank you, Also can you tell me how do you do a sand backwash and how often should we do it?
Turn the pump off.
Assuming you have a multiway valve turn it to the backwash position, then turn the pump on for a few minutes.
Turn the pump off again and move the valve to the rinse position
Turn it back on for a minute
Turn it off and put the valve back to the filter position
Turn it back on
Top up the water level

Most sandfilters have a transparent window so you can see the muck coming out and the water getting clearer. Make sure the water level doesn't get too low or you will lose pressure.

How often is determined by how dirty the pool gets, a good guide is the pressure gauge - generally the pressure gets higher the more clogged the filter is. Don't backwash too often.
this might sound a stupid question but on the multiway valve what is the waste valve for?, i didn't see any mention of it on how to do a backwash.

thanks
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

mand wrote:
this might sound a stupid question but on the multiway valve what is the waste valve for?, i didn't see any mention of it on how to do a backwash.

thanks
It empties your pool.

When the pool is in normal operation, water is sucked by the pump and passed through a sand filter that hopefully collects all the muck.

After a while this layer of muck starts to clog your filter and you wil see a reduction in pressure. This is when you backwash. When you turn the valve to backwash and run the system, water is pushed in the opposite direction through the filter and runs out of the waste pipe hopefully taking all the muck with it.

It also sometimes takes some of your sand so don't do it unnecessarily.

Once you have backwashed you need to rinse the system to get all the loose muck out - again this goes down the waste pipe. If you don't rinse then when you restart the system you will put muck back into the pool.

If you set the valve to Waste, it simply pumps water out of the waste pipe and by-passes the filter completely.

You would use this if you wanted to empty your pool or just take some water out but it forms no part of normal operation.

Some people set the valve to waste when cleaning a very dirty pool to avoid the dirt even getting in the filter but this is very wasteful of water as well as any chemicals you have added to the water.

Before backwashing, always check the filter that is normally part of your pump, in my experience dirt in here is a major reason for reduced pressure.

Don't get obsessive about backwashing, if your pressure is OK then your water is being filtered and the muck is simply creating an extra layer of filtration.

Hope this helps
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Perhaps my advice in the previous post could be misleading.

Depending on your set up, a clogged filter can result in high pressure in your system.

So backwash if the pressure is not normal or the filter is ineffective
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

Thanks for that allan
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I'd certainly agree with most of that Allan. One further point about backwashing. I was told to do it regularly,but it's far better to do a big one now and again than small ones often. It's tempting through loss of sand and water to just do a backwash and rinse for a couple of minutes to keep the pressure of the pump up,as Allan says,but,in my experience,this is not terribly effective. So I do a full one (10 -15 mins each at least) every fortnight,and I find that the water quality is much better,and the pressure remains higher for longer.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

john wrote:I'd certainly agree with most of that Allan. One further point about backwashing. I was told to do it regularly,but it's far better to do a big one now and again than small ones often. It's tempting through loss of sand and water to just do a backwash and rinse for a couple of minutes to keep the pressure of the pump up,as Allan says,but,in my experience,this is not terribly effective. So I do a full one (10 -15 mins each at least) every fortnight,and I find that the water quality is much better,and the pressure remains higher for longer.
Not sure I agree with you here John. Assuming its a sand filter, it works best if the sand is tightly compressed, allowing only the smallest particles through. When you backwash it, water flows back up through the sand, loosening it and flushing all the dirt out. The rinse stage pushes the sand back down again and re-compresses it. A reasonable layer of muck on top of the sand actually helps it to work as it keeps it compressed. Generally the cleaner a filter is, the less effective it is.As long as the water keeps flowing at a decent rate then it is being filtered.

I don't know how much water costs in Ceret but doesn't pumping it out for 15 minutes cost you a fortune in water charges? I remember you telling me that you don't have a forage.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I can see what you are saying,Allan,though I'm only going on what the guy from Euro Piscines said to me ,and my experience of water quality/clarity,using both methods.

I suppose pumping water for 15 mins every 2 or 3 wks is basically the same, quantity wise, as pumping water for 3 mins 3 times a week !
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

john wrote:I can see what you are saying,Allan,though I'm only going on what the guy from Euro Piscines said to me ,and my experience of water quality/clarity,using both methods.

I suppose pumping water for 15 mins every 2 or 3 wks is basically the same, quantity wise, as pumping water for 3 mins 3 times a week !
I generally do 3 minutes once a fortnight.

At the end of the day, it is what works for you.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Allan wrote:I generally do 3 minutes once a fortnight.

At the end of the day, it is what works for you.
I think the other thing,that we've not mentioned ,is it all also rather depends on how many folk you've got swimming in your pool,and how often,leaving their detritus in the water !!