Pool problems

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: green pool

Post by Allan »

john wrote: My view is that if we had our time again we would not have bothered with a pool. For the number of days that you can use it round here,as you say ,they work out damned expensive swims,and the amount of work involved is not commensurate with the pleasure gained. I think pools have this "street cred" caché about them,but,if and when we move,we'll certainly not be buying a house with a pool!
I couldn't imagine life here without a pool, we use ours everyday during the summer and it is a source of great pleasure. I'm surprised by your comments about the number of days you can use the pool, I didn't think the weather anywhere in the region varied that much.

A couple of years ago I invested in a motorised pool cover and that makes a big difference as it keeps the pool much cleaner and the water much warmer. When we opened the pool in April the water temperature was 22 degrees.

Personally I don't like beaches, they are covered in sand, don't have refrigerators in convenient spots and always seem to have traffic jams leading up to them.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Allan wrote:
Personally I don't like beaches, they are covered in sand, don't have refrigerators in convenient spots and always seem to have traffic jams leading up to them.
lol

Good point! I used to do a bit of 'deluxe beaching' at Plage Nord on the Plage des Pins at Argeles. Comfy bed, parasol in place, great cafe at the side, loos etc, but unfortunately Denis is no longer there and it's not so good now, so I stick with my pool. :D
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

thumbelina wrote:
Allan wrote:
lol

Good point! I used to do a bit of 'deluxe beaching' at Plage Nord on the Plage des Pins at Argeles. Comfy bed, parasol in place, great cafe at the side, loos etc, but unfortunately Denis is no longer there and it's not so good now, so I stick with my pool. :D
If Denis is from the brothers of Denis and Johnny, yes he's gone. But from what I understand that the new owners are even better. The food is better and the Plage Nord is back again in it's previous glory.

Johnny is still there in the area but he's not running any more the Plage Nord nor the Dutch Tapas bar. Things change but the sun and the beach is still tops. I might even see you at the Plage Nord. My apartment is spitting distance from the Plage Nord.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

You are right;the problem with beaches is access at this time of year,but on the whole,I much prefer them to pools.As Thumbs says,with a bit of preparation,planning and forethought,you can get all the creature comforts ,if that's important to you. Also there are plenty of municipal or hotel pools one can use for a small fee,if cooling down is urgent.

Allan ,I think you miss my point. Of course pools are nice when the weather is like this,but it's only for a few days each year,and I'm sorry,maybe I 'm a softie,but the idea of swimming in 22° water, outside, in April, sounds HORRENDOUS. Needs to be a lot warmer than that for me! You are of course right. There are all sorts of gizmo's , devices and abris to up the temp/make life easier,but they all cost,big style,and if ,as you clearly are,you are able to afford them,then that's fine,but not all of us can.

So,I guess it's another thing we'll have to agree to disagree on,but,I suppose it all comes down again, to disposable cash,and what you feel it's sensible to spend it on. After several years of hard work (sorry Thumbers,it is), and eye watering bills,next time I'll not be bothering.......
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I did say it was hard work, John, but not a chore! :D

If Denis is from the brothers of Denis and Johnny, yes he's gone. But from what I understand that the new owners are even better. The food is better and the Plage Nord is back again in it's previous glory.
That's good to hear, BD. I haven't been yet this year, but some friends went early on and didn't rate it. I'll have to give it a try myself.

Denis is still about too. My niece saw him working in a bar in Argeles the other week.

Lucky you having an apartment there. I like Plage des Pins! :D

The one thing I do NOT like however, is the new one way system around Argeles village!!!!!

I know Argeles reasonably well, and it took me three times to find the way out the first time I went there after the alterations! :? :? :?
TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

pool green

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hi All,

Thanks to all for their input and info.Going to sign out of it now.

Hope everyone has a great Summer.

T&B
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Quick update:

I followed the recommendation to use floculent (my spell checker wants to change that to flatulent!).

In accordance with the printed instructions I added it Monday evening and went to clean the bottom in the morning. Very little sediment and still somewhat cloudy. Still I started to clean out what there was and my hose split so off to buy a new one. It was a busy day so I couldn't continue until the evening. By then the water was clear and lots of sediment so I cleaned it out and backwashed the filter. So, don't just leave it overnight. Leave it for 24 hours to do it's thing.

This morning a little more sediment to remove and the water is now crystal clear. Thanks for the advice.

Regarding beaches; We have a Camping Car which we take to a less populated beach, such as the stretch between Canet and St. Cyp. we then have toilet and shower facilities to hand as well as a fridge full of cold drinks. Ideal for when the grandchildren visit.

Russell.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Thumbs
The Plage Nord has now changed to another name. I don't have the new name but I'll check. I wrote to a friend and she said that the name has changed but the food is very good now. She ate there three times in the past two weeks.

There is another place for nice food in Argeles. It's at the municipal piscine~there's a small restaurant run by a girl called Frederique. Her food is very, very nice and the price is not expensive. There's only a daily menu though. The customers are mostly police people, since it's near to the place. It's a summer restaurant.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Wicked, thanks a lot BD! :D
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

john wrote:Allan ,I think you miss my point. Of course pools are nice when the weather is like this,but it's only for a few days each year,and I'm sorry,maybe I 'm a softie,but the idea of swimming in 22° water, outside, in April, sounds HORRENDOUS. Needs to be a lot warmer than that for me!
I never had you down as such a softie John. The current sea temperatures around here are only about that now, even after the recent spell of hot weather. I bet when you paddled in the North Sea as a kid that it was nothing like that and the summer temperatures were not as warm as it was here at the end of April.

Where do you get your few days a year from? we swim practically every day from May to the end of September and rarely have to heat the pool. Is there a micro-climate over Ceret that makes it different from the rest of the region.
eda66
Rank 1
Rank 1

green pool

Post by eda66 »

hello Tom and Barbara

Javel IS bleach - I would not pour it in my pool !- is yours a liner or tiled ? If lined, I was advised not to put ANY chemicals directly in the pool.

when I had the same problem, I went to Metca (sorry for the ad but they solved my problem !) on the side road to Rivesaltes next to Vilmorin, and they advised me brilliantly. It was a mix of anti-algae, PH adjusting and time, but all in the right dosage !!!!! I did try to solve it myself beforehand but got really frustrated ........... wather is now great.

If you want to try single-handed, I suggest Chlore choc and anti algae but you will then need to stabilise the water to make sure it stays that way.

Bonne chance
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

eda66 wrote:hello Tom and Barbara

Javel IS bleach - I would not pour it in my pool !- is yours a liner or tiled ? If lined, I was advised not to put ANY chemicals directly in the pool.

when I had the same problem, I went to Metca (sorry for the ad but they solved my problem !) on the side road to Rivesaltes next to Vilmorin, and they advised me brilliantly. It was a mix of anti-algae, PH adjusting and time, but all in the right dosage !!!!! I did try to solve it myself beforehand but got really frustrated ........... wather is now great.

If you want to try single-handed, I suggest Chlore choc and anti algae but you will then need to stabilise the water to make sure it stays that way.

Bonne chance
Again, not trying to give a free advert but I just went to Metca (today) to buy a new pump. They've given me good service since 1994.

Blackduff
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Allan wrote:
john wrote:Allan ,I think you miss my point. Of course pools are nice when the weather is like this,but it's only for a few days each year,and I'm sorry,maybe I 'm a softie,but the idea of swimming in 22° water, outside, in April, sounds HORRENDOUS. Needs to be a lot warmer than that for me!
I never had you down as such a softie John. The current sea temperatures around here are only about that now, even after the recent spell of hot weather. I bet when you paddled in the North Sea as a kid that it was nothing like that and the summer temperatures were not as warm as it was here at the end of April.

Where do you get your few days a year from? we swim practically every day from May to the end of September and rarely have to heat the pool. Is there a micro-climate over Ceret that makes it different from the rest of the region.

It was the Irish Sea in my youth,Allan,but I get your drift. Yes,it was pretty horrid then,as it is now. The difference is now I have a choice.......

The sea in Spain was better than that yesterday,and the ambient temp was a comfortable 32 deg.

As for days,well this year it was not warm enough (let's say 25° min) to start swimming till mid June. If previous years are anything to go by, the weather will have turned crap by early Sept,and water temps will have plunged again.

Therefore ,about 75 possible days per year,minus those where it's cool /cloudy or we are not here at home. Like I say....."just a few days per year".