Insurance cancelleation

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

dorothyr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Insurance cancelleation

Post by dorothyr »

I have been told that we have to give 1 months notice to our insurance company to cancel our house insurance - we have been given a far better quote. Can anyone advise me if this is right? Has anyone got a sample letter in French that I can use?
Tiffany
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiffany »

I believe it's one month's notice before the END of your contract. i.e you can't change insurers in the middle of the year, and you have to remember to give them notice one month before the end of the insurance year if you don't intend to renew with them. This does not apply if you have moved, or sold, and perhaps some other exceptions. It's frustrating if you have a better quote, but you have to wait.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

This notice also has to be sent by registered letter by many insurance companies, or they will not accept it.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I believe the statutory period is 20 days after receiving the annual reminder.

ie ,as Kate says ,if you do not stop the contract by sending a registered letter within 20 days,you are deemed to have signed up for another year.

It's difficult to know a more anti-competitive rule/arrangement,but,hey,this is France,and we've got to live with it!