Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

overnight electric questions

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hello+

i have two sets of circuit breakers in two rows one under each other.
I know this because one of the circuit breakers on one of the rows feeds the overnight water heater.

My questions:

1.Is everything on the same row of circuit breakers also soley overnight electric ?

2. Is it just the circuit breaker feeding the water heater thats cheap overnight.

I am confused because what I thought were storage heater points have power going to them during the day during normal rate periods.

I was going to replace the ancient storage heaters with new but is it possible that these points could have normal rate power going to them during the day and switch to off peak during the night on through the same wiring ?

In the Uk I know its totally seperate.

Thanks
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I'm pretty certain that there will be only one circuit for all your electricity and that the meter just switches over from day to night. Otherwise you would need to have your house rewired if you chose to move over to split-time metering.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

T&B
I can't tell your information but maybe this will progress your search.

I have two properties:

One has a meter which shows two levels-one is for the les heures pleines and the other is les heures cruese (sp?). This house has a Contacteur jour/nuit. This gives me the choice to be manual (off or on), or Auto.

This contacteur j/n has an entry from two disjoncteurs~one is 2A and the other 20A. The 2A feeds to the electric meter. From the meter there's another line which comes to the low section of the Contacteur j/n.

Exactly how this works is hard to describe and it probably isn't the same as yours but it gives an idea.

The second meter is simple with no frills. I can determine what amount of electicity used in the Jours and the Nuit. But, this canot run the automatic Contacteur jour/nuit. It allows me to have the heures pleines and heures crueses but it gives me the plain vanilla rates (12 midnight to 8 am. I can control this with a minuterie, which is sufficient for a rental apartment.

I hope that this has given a bit of help. I bought a good book called Installer: un tableau electrique. It's a blue cover and it's bought at either Castorama or Leroy. The price is about 7.50 €, which is a good bargain. It gives me enough information to fiddle inside the panel.

Blackduff (the contacteur jour/nuit feeds to the water tank only)
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: overnight electric questions

Post by Webdoc »

TOM AND BARB wrote:I am confused because what I thought were storage heater points have power going to them during the day during normal rate periods.

I was going to replace the ancient storage heaters with new but is it possible that these points could have normal rate power going to them during the day and switch to off peak during the night on through the same wiring ?
If they were powered 24 hours a day they shouldn't be the heavy "storage" type, and if they were on two circuits there would be two switches in the fuse box.

I suggest turning one off for a day or two to go cold, then turn it on at 8am and see if it warms up during the day.
Serge

Post by Serge »

Slightly deviating from the original topic, but we have electric convection heaters which are old and appear to be expensive to run for the times that we use them in the winter months, I am considering installing a gas boiler (using Calor gas) and conventional radiators for use in winter and also using it to heat the house hot water system and the pool in early/late summer - what do you think?
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

T&B
Here's a typical installation for the contacteur jour/nuit.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... 6%26sa%3DN

This is what I was trying to explain. It's slightly different than mine but you're going to have the basic "parts" to make your control panel work for the les heures creuses et les heures pleines.

Blackduff
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Here's another schema but it's simpler to view.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... 6%26sa%3DN

Remember, your EDF meter has the cable which will answer for the jour/nuit equipment. The meter needs to have the dual reading capability and it's included this special cable for the telecomande to the control panel in the house.

Google "installation contacteur jour/nuit" will give you a lot more installations about this equipement.

Blackduff
TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

STORAGE HEATERS

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Thanks everyone for taking the effort to respond in such detail.

T&B