Red zone house insurance

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Red zone house insurance

Post by Rose »

Our house in the Domaine des Alberes is now in a red zone. This means that if there is a fire in the Domaine and there is substantial damage we would not be allowed to rebuild it. Does anyone know if it is possible to get house insurance which would cover this eventuality and allow us to build elsewhere?
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

We are also in a Zone Rouge,Rose,but as yet have not had any trouble getting insurance.

There seems to be some doubt as to the legality of the "rule" that would forbid rebuilding in the worst case scenario.

Watch this space.
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Red zone house insurance

Post by Rose »

Thanks for the prompt reply John. I will continue watching the space!
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

How do you get to know if you are in a zone rouge? what are the other zones?
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Sue, I googled Sorede, but not sure if you're there or Saint André, which I couldn't find.. guess the mairie for info?? I would think if you have a copy of your "cadastre" or know its number you should be able to find out..
http://www.ial66.com/IMG/pdf/regl_PPRIF_sorede.pdf
seems each commune has its own doc and variations for this..
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Red zone house insurance

Post by Rose »

Only 5% of France is and we are because we are up in the hills and there is a risk of fire, just like where John is in Ceret. We only became red zone last year and if our house burnt down we would not be allowed to rebuild there. As far as I know the insurance companies would only pay out for the value of the house and not the land.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

In my understanding, where we are, The Chartreuses, they were trying to put us in the red zone also. The association has put forward some measures ie clearing land etc in order that we will be in the blue zone. Apparently this has been done in other areas of France. At the moment this is an ongoing working party linked with the houses on our lottisement. Rose We were told also that the insurance would only pay for the house and that we couldn't rebuild. How crazy is that? Do you have an association in the Domaine? They would be the ones to approach.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Rose
I'm not sure how long you've lived there but in 1995 there was a forest fire burned just adjacent to the Domaine. It burned almost up to top of the mountain. A few weeks later some fool burned his land, trying to keep the leaves removed. There was a Tramontane blowing, the fire jumped his land and it ran up direct to the Domaine.

The reason about the fire preventions.

I have a red zone too. The state law says we have to trim any trees within my house up to fifty meters around. This means I have to trim some other properties trees, which I'll have to pay. Sorede properties near the forest land has the same problem. There's a govt. group passes teh area to see if the properties have been complied. So far I haven't needed to cut down trees. Nobody else neither cut trees.

I do have insurance and they've never complained. I also have an apartment which is situated in a flood area and the insurance has that coverage too.

We have to take things as it arrives.

Blackduff