Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Problems with the syndic

Post by Kate »

(received by email)

We have two apartments - the syndic of one is passable but the other is an utter disaster.I talk of our experiences since 2001 so think they are valid.

Mr xxxxxxx refuses to accept responsability for anything - he
tries to pin faults on us concerning the roof despite the fact we have
never been on it! His workmen have but that does'nt seem to
count.We have been stupid enough (with hindsight) to allow these people
access to the roof via our Velux so they may work on our neighbours roofs! He keeps saying that we owe him money, however much we pay - he refuses to show us any real proof.

A visit to his office (we have made several) results in him imitating
Louis de Funès - jumping around and shouting, pressing buttons like a
maniac on his computer! When I speak French, he claims I am speaking
English - if I speak English he understands it only when he wants to -
when there is no problem.

Saturday last saw another Assembly Generale. As always, just a handful
of owners arrive (we are the only ones living there)

They appear to be drugged, or stupid, or both and despite their critisisms of him prior to the meeting, they are lambs to the slaughter, when he arrives!

He claims that our recorded delivery letters arrive as empty envelopes - He refuses to accept the report of our insurance companys expert - the Maison au Droits just tells us SELL !!!

We have created a garden where there was a rubbish tip and we continue to treat the parking areas with weed killer, sweep up all the autumn leaves, we have even re-painted some interior public areas - all at OUR OWN EXPENSE!

When the building was re-painted outside, we volunteered to re-paint the 40 or so garages to match. After they donated us something like 10 euros per garage. We never hear the end of their assertions they we were paid too much!!

Racism plays a big part in all this with continual anti- British remarks and insults.

I know we are not alone with such problems and I ask all of you out there who are being ripped-off, insulted etc. to take action. Joint action seems to be what is needed - is there anyone out there with professional experience on accounting and Syndic law who would be willing to help? Help is needed so desperatly
BL
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

"He claims that our recorded delivery letters arrive as empty envelopes.."

Can't offer much help, but an adviser in the Maison d'Acces au Droit in Perpignan, told me to send an AR letter without an envelope, simply folded into 3, address the outside, and take it to the Poste, where they will accept it for AR, seal the edges, and post it. I have to add that the only time we did this, the letter came back unclaimed, even though we know for a fact that the address was correct. I suppose if the addressee is out for the initial delivery, he will get an 'avis de passage'...and there's no law forcing him to go and pick up his mail from the Poste.

It's still worth a try though
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Problems with the syndic

Post by rbg »

Kate wrote:(received by email)
Saturday last saw another Assembly Generale. As always, just a handful
of owners arrive (we are the only ones living there)

They appear to be drugged, or stupid, or both and despite their critisisms of him prior to the meeting, they are lambs to the slaughter, when he arrives!
BL
I am totally amazed by the subserviant nature of the French when it comes to syndics.
They are so vociferous when it comes to their rights en masse but when it comes to personally complaining about something, they seem to melt into meekness. Maybe this is the reason that service is in general pretty crappy in France?

I can totally empathise with this poster - syndics are one of the greatest rip off artists in France. I had a small apartment last year which I owned for 9 months - no work was done on the building or the apartment by the syndic. Total charge for the 9 mths : 2800euros. This is a large management company that is buying up all the smaller syndics so it nearly has a monopoly on the market now in certain areas.
Once they take over a building ( from a smaller syndic) you will see many FOR SALE signs popping up as people just cannot afford to pay the exhorbitant charges.
I advise everyone I know never to buy property in a building run by this syndic -
A client of mine with a one bed in Canet was forced to pay 4200euros last year. His appt is now for sale.
You can never talk to anyone in their office and they have a big legal team to back them up so The Customer is Always Wrong!!!!!!
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Problems with the syndic

Post by Owens88 »

Kate wrote:(received by email)
........ is there anyone out there with professional experience on accounting and Syndic law who would be willing to help? .........
BL
If so we would also be interested.

John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

This guy isn't bad and he has some English if your french isn't great : I'd think long and hard about taking a syndic to court though!!!!

Best of Luck!

Chapy Bertrand. RUE DES EVADES DE FRANCE 66000 Perpignan. Fax : 04.68.37.31.88. Activité : Avocat en droit des sociétés