How good is the internet connection

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Corinna
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun 15 Oct 2017 12:20

How good is the internet connection

Post by Corinna »

Hi, we are looking into moving to the p.o.

In another thread someone said that half the houses in the p.o. struggle with internet connection and also TV and landline.

Is this true? I dearly hope not. I have actually heard the opposite, namely that in France a great effort has been made to supply remote house with good internet connection. (We would like to buy a remote house)

How do you assess the internet connection situation?
best,
Corinnna
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »

There is no way of generalising. If you have your eye on a particular property, ask the selling agent for the details, and then ask them for the details that would allow you to check them, ideally both the Orange phone number and the GPS location. After that, it’s easy: if you can’t do it, it’s a big mistake to buy a “remote houseâ€￾ without working out how to suss out things in France. Almost anywhere in rural France is meant to have ambitious projects to make internet speeds better: you could ask at the “mairieâ€￾ (mayor’s office) of your chosen location. They are generally very helpful, but can’t always deliver.

As for TV, it’s again for you to choose whose TV you want and how you hope to get it:you can get French TV anywhere, either by aerial or satellite dish, but it’s lousy and possibly in the wrong language for you. Otherwise it will depend on your internet connection. Again, I’m afraid, if you can’t work this out before you get here, you are not equipped to live here. Many of us here worked it all out as we went along, before the internet, but it was hard work and often wasted lots of time and money. You have no excuse, if you try.

Can I ask you whether you have thought enough about this? You want to buy a “remoteâ€￾ house in the P-O. Some of them look nice, and they can be very cheap (but there are reasons for that). But think about the things that you might die from, rather than the internet or the tv: where’s the food near me by actual physical roads, or the bank, or the doctor, or a pharmacist, and what happens when there’s a metre of snow?

If you have got all that entirely worked out, I apologise. But some people haven’t.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue 01 Sep 2009 21:21
Contact:

Post by Allan »

As Martyn says, you can’t generalise, but you can check any particular property. Also bear in mind that French Internet providers are now all offering 4G connections for use where a cabled service might not work. These don’t cover all areas but again, you can check on their web sites.

As for a remote property, you can find plenty of houses in the countryside away from others, without going any great distance from the main towns.

The internet is important to me and before I bought my house, I insisted on testing it. What I didn’t know was that when the wind blows, the old phone wires going to my house all surrender and I lose the connection. I ended up installing satellite broadband and now rely on a roof aerial and 4G.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »


Florence
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri 13 May 2016 18:40
Contact:

Post by Florence »

Don´t look in the Vallespir, internet is notoriously slow here. Although I believe they are starting to improve it as far as the zone industrielle in Céret.
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue 02 May 2006 19:09
Contact:

Post by Webdoc »

I get 12+MB in Palalda which I believe is the national average. Mind you, as the village is twinned with the Marie Celeste mine might well be the only connection in town.
Corinna
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun 15 Oct 2017 12:20

Post by Corinna »

thanks for all the replies.

thanks for the warnings, Martyn, :)) keep them coming because we would like to know as many pitfalls as possible before making 'THE MOVE'.

We certainly will not buy a cheap project. The remoteness does not bother us (we live in the sticks here in Devon, miles from anywhere) and want that again. But we will be able to pay for a house in good working order.

Our French needs some freshening up but I was able to read Camus in school, and I am a fast learner. Still, having to phone an internet provider in French fills me with dread. I hope they all have a chat function or you can do by email?

I am running an internet business which consists in talking to people on skype. At the moment I have a humble 2 MB here in Devon and that works just fine.
When you have internet through a satellite dish - is that stable? That would be mega important for my skype calls.
I googled 4G connection - that is basically through a satellite, yes?

One more question: what is orange visual? The house we will be looking at had that? Is that the phone or internet provider? Is there only one provider or many as in Britain.

thanks for answering.
best,
Corinnna
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »

Corinna wrote:thanks for all the replies.

thanks for the warnings, Martyn, :)) keep them coming because we would like to know as many pitfalls as possible before making 'THE MOVE'.

We certainly will not buy a cheap project. The remoteness does not bother us (we live in the sticks here in Devon, miles from anywhere) and want that again. But we will be able to pay for a house in good working order.

Our French needs some freshening up but I was able to read Camus in school, and I am a fast learner. Still, having to phone an internet provider in French fills me with dread. I hope they all have a chat function or you can do by email?

I am running an internet business which consists in talking to people on skype. At the moment I have a humble 2 MB here in Devon and that works just fine.
When you have internet through a satellite dish - is that stable? That would be mega important for my skype calls.
I googled 4G connection - that is basically through a satellite, yes?

One more question: what is orange visual? The house we will be looking at had that? Is that the phone or internet provider? Is there only one provider or many as in Britain.

thanks for answering.
A quick response: I probably can’t be bothered with the rest. If your business depends on Skype (or any sort of voice over IP), avoid satellite internet like the plague. The problem is what they call latency: everything you say has to go 35,000kms up to the satellite, and then come 35,000 kms back to who you are talking to: even at the speed of light, that takes time. And then anything that anyone says back to you goes the same way in reverse. It means small but very noticeable hitches in all your conversations: if it’s with your mum, she’ll let you off, but anyone else won’t.

4G is not satellite: it’s the best current form of mobile phone connection, in this case used for data, and if your place receives it hot and strong, it’s quick and has low latency. But it’s a matter of luck whether your (hypothetical) place will get it hot and strong, and there are different providers with different networks. Google will be your friend.
Last edited by martyn94 on Sun 15 Oct 2017 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue 01 Sep 2009 21:21
Contact:

Post by Allan »

Corinna wrote:thanks for all the replies.

thanks for the warnings, Martyn, :)) keep them coming because we would like to know as many pitfalls as possible before making 'THE MOVE'.

Our French needs some freshening up but I was able to read Camus in school, and I am a fast learner. Still, having to phone an internet provider in French fills me with dread. I hope they all have a chat function or you can do by email?
There are 4 main providers, they all have shops where you can talk them. Orange has a dedicated English speaking line. You can check availability on-line.
Corinna wrote: I am running an internet business which consists in talking to people on skype. At the moment I have a humble 2 MB here in Devon and that works just fine.
When you have internet through a satellite dish - is that stable? That would be mega important for my skype calls.
I googled 4G connection - that is basically through a satellite, yes?

One more question: what is orange visual? The house we will be looking at had that? Is that the phone or internet provider? Is there only one provider or many as in Britain.

thanks for answering.
Satellite internet is not suitable for Skype because of latency. 4G is a wireless technology using mobile phone masts and usually works well with Skype.

As far as I know, Orange Visuelle is a messaging service and nothing to do with an internet connection
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »

As I’ve said before, it’s always reassuring when Allan and I say more or less the same thing. He’s your man for 4g Internet.
Corinna
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun 15 Oct 2017 12:20

Post by Corinna »

ah, thanks, already feeling better :D dedicated line n English? that sounds fantastic.

Do you know which of the providers is best for cheap international calls? I also need to phone all around the world (as back up for skype) - when my clients have weak internet). Here in Britain it costs me near to nothing with talktalk where I have 10 pounds a months flatrate. Is there something similar in France?
best,
Corinnna
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue 01 Sep 2009 21:21
Contact:

Post by Allan »

Corinna wrote:ah, thanks, already feeling better :D dedicated line n English? that sounds fantastic.

Do you know which of the providers is best for cheap international calls? I also need to phone all around the world (as back up for skype) - when my clients have weak internet). Here in Britain it costs me near to nothing with talktalk where I have 10 pounds a months flatrate. Is there something similar in France?
You really should look at the websites of the different providers, they all tell you what service they can provide at any address and what packages they can offer.

All of them offer inclusive packages, the cheapest is usually Free.

Their web sites are;-
Orange.fr
sfr.fr
free.fr
Bouyguesrelecom.fr

Bear in mind that the cheap packages are usually internet based, so you must have a decent internet connection to take advantage of them.

I wouldn’t get hung up over an English speaking phone line, most transactions are done on line and you can always use google translate to view a web site in English
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »


martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
Corinna wrote:ah, thanks, already feeling better :D dedicated line n English? that sounds fantastic.

Do you know which of the providers is best for cheap international calls? I also need to phone all around the world (as back up for skype) - when my clients have weak internet). Here in Britain it costs me near to nothing with talktalk where I have 10 pounds a months flatrate. Is there something similar in France?
You really should look at the websites of the different providers, they all tell you what service they can provide at any address and what packages they can offer.

All of them offer inclusive packages, the cheapest is usually Free.

Their web sites are;-
Orange.fr
sfr.fr
free.fr
Bouyguesrelecom.fr

Bear in mind that the cheap packages are usually internet based, so you must have a decent internet connection to take advantage of them.

I wouldn’t get hung up over an English speaking phone line, most transactions are done on line and you can always use google translate to view a web site in English
Free’s technical people, on the rare occasions I have had to use them, (as an existing customer), pretty much insist on practising their English, even if it is not noticeably better than my French. I guess it’s because English is the language of tech-speak. But why should I be difficult?
Corinna
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun 15 Oct 2017 12:20

Post by Corinna »

thanks a lot - that is all great info.
best,
Corinnna
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue 02 May 2006 19:09
Contact:

Post by Webdoc »

Someone told me the other day that the English Orange helpline was for technical issues only and not billing enquiries.

I went to the Orange shop in person to arrange installation and, despite my moderate French, it all went very smoothly. It was helped by the fact that I knew how the conversation was going to go: "I need the cheapest package please, yes I know the landline comes included, no I don't want TV or a mobile thank you".
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »


Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue 01 Sep 2009 21:21
Contact:

Post by Allan »

Webdoc wrote:Someone told me the other day that the English Orange helpline was for technical issues only and not billing enquiries.

I went to the Orange shop in person to arrange installation and, despite my moderate French, it all went very smoothly. It was helped by the fact that I knew how the conversation was going to go: "I need the cheapest package please, yes I know the landline comes included, no I don't want TV or a mobile thank you".
As I recall, the line gives you 2 choices, technical and sales.

I haven’t used Orange for some time but as far as the technical side goes, their service was much better than the French helpline.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »


Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue 01 Sep 2009 21:21
Contact:

Post by Allan »


martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »


Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue 01 Sep 2009 21:21
Contact:

Post by Allan »


Corinna
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun 15 Oct 2017 12:20

Post by Corinna »

thanks, guys, this is really great. I appreciate the advice.

We are very aware of the language barrier. I have done it all before as I am not British and know what it means to learn a language so that you can deal with everything life throws at you.

I start with reading children books - possibly on kindle with a translation function and then I'll learn 10 to 20 words by heart every day. That adds up to a few thousand in a year. Then I will watch easy videos/talk shows in French every day and will force my reluctant husband to at least an hour of French conversation every day. Add to this all the interaction witht the French people around you ...eh voila - francais toute suite :D
best,
Corinnna
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »

[quote="CorinnaAdd to this all the interaction witht the French people around you ...eh voila - francais toute suite :D[/quote]

But who are all the French people around you going to be at your remote house? I just had cows for 20 years: they were very pretty, but not very talkative.
User avatar
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 945
Joined: Tue 11 Jul 2006 13:18
Contact:

Post by sue and paul »

Corinna wrote:thanks, guys, this is really great. I appreciate the advice.

We are very aware of the language barrier. I have done it all before as I am not British and know what it means to learn a language so that you can deal with everything life throws at you.

I start with reading children books - possibly on kindle with a translation function and then I'll learn 10 to 20 words by heart every day. That adds up to a few thousand in a year. Then I will watch easy videos/talk shows in French every day and will force my reluctant husband to at least an hour of French conversation every day. Add to this all the interaction witht the French people around you ...eh voila - francais toute suite :D
Tout de suite...just being helpful :wink:
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »


martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »


Post Reply