Sanglier Problem

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Sanglier Problem

Post by GrahamC »

So, we have a regular visit from a large sanglier into our modest garden. Naturally, it's causing havoc.

Searching the net, the only remedy seems to be to build a strong sturdy fence around the whole plot - not going to happen.

So, my question is, are you allowed to shoot sanglier in your garden as a form of pest control out of season and without a hunting licence?

Any constructive ideas would be most welcome!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I think the prior question is whether you are ever permitted to discharge a firearm in your garden which would bring down a sanglier humanely, I guess it depends on the size of your garden.

The mairie can tell you the rules which apply locally. I would be surprised if you could ever do it out of season, but I'm guessing.
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter »

Hunting rights belong to the property owner within 150 metres of his house but they can only be shot during the season (which starts on Tuesday in many places locally) unless special permission is obtained and by a licensed hunter from your local ACCA.

A lot depends on the situation and safety around your property.

The best thing to do is to contact your local chasse and tell them you have a problem. They will then organise a battue locally and try to deal with the animal.

Fencing is unlikely to deal with the problem as they tend to destroy them.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Pighunter wrote:Hunting rights belong to the property owner within 150 metres of his house but they can only be shot during the season (which starts on Tuesday in many places locally) unless special permission is obtained and by a licensed hunter from your local ACCA.

A lot depends on the situation and safety around your property.

The best thing to do is to contact your local chasse and tell them you have a problem. They will then organise a battue locally and try to deal with the animal.

Fencing is unlikely to deal with the problem as they tend to destroy them.
I was tempted to just tell GrahamC to ask Pighunter, but it seemed officious. Incidentally, I've always liked your profile photo: but who's the guy on the right?
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter »

Just some old bore....
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

I thought it was Donald Tusk.
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Sanglier Problem

Post by Sus »

GrahamC wrote:So, we have a regular visit from a large sanglier into our modest garden. Naturally, it's causing havoc.

Searching the net, the only remedy seems to be to build a strong sturdy fence around the whole plot - not going to happen.

So, my question is, are you allowed to shoot sanglier in your garden as a form of pest control out of season and without a hunting licence?

my advice would be to forget the fencing option even if you were to consider it, been there and done it and it doesnt work! the local hunters are your best bet.
Mazkri
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Sanglier Problem

Post by Mazkri »

Sus wrote:
GrahamC wrote:So, we have a regular visit from a large sanglier into our modest garden. Naturally, it's causing havoc.

my advice would be to forget the fencing option even if you were to consider it, been there and done it and it doesnt work! the local hunters are your best bet.

Call me i can tell you what to do
Perpipal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Perpipal »

Make friends with it and feed it - I did that in Devon. Why is this such a terrible beast of burden? They are very friendly when they gain your trust.

... the hog whisperer!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I am anti corrida, anti hunt, anti anything that harms animals for'sport' or 'fun'.....but that is a really bad idea.

I have some friends who did just that. We have some lovely photos of them feeding the piggy in the garden.....but when it trashed their car, destroyed their garden and nearly tusked their young grandchildren one day out of the blue, they were obliged to go to the Mairie for help.....and the poor porker ended up on the sharp side of the hunt.

I hate hunting and killing.....but reluctantly understand the need for keeping the population in check.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Kate wrote:I am anti corrida, anti hunt, anti anything that harms animals for'sport' or 'fun'.....but that is a really bad idea.

I have some friends who did just that. We have some lovely photos of them feeding the piggy in the garden.....but when it trashed their car, destroyed their garden and nearly tusked their young grandchildren one day out of the blue, they were obliged to go to the Mairie for help.....and the poor porker ended up on the sharp side of the hunt.

I hate hunting and killing.....but reluctantly understand the need for keeping the population in check.
I too am anti-hunt, anti-corrida. It's ironic that Catalunya has effectively banned the corrida but their sympathisers in France take a different view. FR3 TV also seems to be solidly behind the corrida and gives it a lot of airtime.

The sanglier populations in the PO are disproportionate because they are maintained artificially by feeding and the removal of non-human predators. This suits the chasse just fine. They have an amazing ability to distance themselves from any responsibillity for the outcome of their activities.

Gus