Plumber required

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Toenail

Plumber required

Post by Toenail »

Each year our insurance policy requires the water system to be drained down between December and end of February. I have had a good look at the water tank and mine doesn't seen to have an obvious way to drain water away so I need a plumber who can call over and do it and show me how to do it. Can anyone recommend a plumber who can preferably speak English but not essential. Thanks
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

These are all English speakers
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/-Tradesmen-
Bonne chance
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Plumber required

Post by martyn94 »

[quote="Toenail"]Each year our insurance policy requires the water system to be drained down between December and end of February. I have had a good look at the water tank and mine doesn't seen to have an obvious way to drain water away so I need a plumber who can call over and do it and show me how to do it. Can anyone recommend a plumber who can preferably speak English but not essential. Thanks[/quote

Where are you, and how low does it get? If you really think that everyone with this clause actually gets their system drained (or suffers from not doing so), you are a lot more risk-averse than I am. At my other place, in Normandy, I have hit minus 22 at odd times, and only suffered superficial damage in 20-odd years. Less, in any event, than the excess on my insurance.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Plumber required

Post by martyn94 »

Toenail wrote:Each year our insurance policy requires the water system to be drained down between December and end of February. I have had a good look at the water tank and mine doesn't seen to have an obvious way to drain water away so I need a plumber who can call over and do it and show me how to do it. Can anyone recommend a plumber who can preferably speak English but not essential. Thanks
You need to find the lowest point on your system, preferably somewhere which won't inconvience you when the water comes out, and open the tap if there is one, or just loosen a pipe joint with a spanner and stand well back. But turn the supply off first and open all your taps.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Don't understand this. I assume you are talking about your water heater. Not a header tank. Those relics of Victorian plumbing don't exist here as far as I know. Modern water heaters are so well insulated that the chances of them freezing are remote. Even if they are situated in a shed. You might run a small risk if you have any exposed pipes. As already suggested turn off the water when you leave and drain the system at the lowest point.

That's what we do and we've never had a problem in all the time we've lived here.

Gus

PS IMHO damage from lightning strikes is a far greater risk and I would always advise minimising the potential problems. Would not have thought that freezing temperatures are much of a problem at St Cyp!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

On second thoughts, forget about the plumbing and change your insurer. Anyone with a clause like this for a dwelling in St Cyp is just looking for ways to screw you. You can almost certainly get better and (much) cheaper cover from one of the online brands like Amarguiz. And you can now "resile" your existing cover at any time of year.