Holiday Letting

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

NigelS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Holiday Letting

Post by NigelS »

We are thinking of gradually moving to France by buying a house in the Ariege (probably), living there just through the winter months and doing holiday lets for the remainder of the year.
Do you have any tips on doing the lettings business profitably?
Are there any holiday letting agencies you would recommend that operate in the Ariege?
CPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPB »

Hi,

Most people on this forum live in the Pyrenees orientales so you probably won't get much advice specific to the Ariege.

A few thoughts from me:

1. What would your target market for holidays lettings be? Skiing? Rural accommodation? Or in the PO beach holidays? Etc
2. How much competition is there in the area?
3. Are people wanting to holiday in your chosen area? Is there a market for what you hope to offer? (All I know about the Ariege is it is more remote and rural than the PO i.e. The PO has a thriving costal scene and A LOT of both family based and sports based attractions, something for everyone, hence its a popular holiday destination...does the Ariege have enough trade?)

There are plenty of people that can offer tips on advertising platforms etc which I wouldn't be qualified to do. But AngloInfo covering the Ariege would be a good place to start for your questions based more in that department.

I would also recommend doing a 6 month rental if you are in a position to in da h (or at least a lining holiday in each) before deciding.
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Holiday Letting

Post by Rose »

I would recommend www.abritel.fr Have used it for 13 years and have always been booked out for July and August. Look up some of the properties in the Ariege on this site to see their availability.
NigelS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks

Post by NigelS »

Thanks Rose. Have checked www.abritel.fr out and they cover the Ariege. What about the bookings / cleaning / check-ins-outs / gardening - any recommendations there of companies or how to find one?