Legal remedies?

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Legal remedies?

Post by Pearsonb »

I rented a property here for over three years. At the time I left, the landlord was recovering from an operation in the UK and didn't carry out an état des lieux.

I have now been told that this is obligatory and that the landlord should have arranged for a huissier to attend in their absence.

The landlord has inspected the property on their own some two months later and there is a dispute between us about various items.

What can I do?

Thanks

Pearson
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

We own a self contained studio apartment which is let. Our last tenant clearly and obviously abandoned the premises, turned off the power, leaving it in a terrible condition with rotting food in the refrigerator.

In England and Wales the landlord and/or his agent would be able to take photographs and testify as to the state of the premises in case of dispute. In France, however, we were advised that a huissier (bailiff) would have to visit and report before we could re-occupy, get the place cleaned and re-let.

As things happened, the tenant accepted that the tenancy had come to an end and costs were deducted from the deposit by agreement.

I don't know if this helps?
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

Thanks, Alan. I wish I had known more before I left the place.

My ex-landlord has taken out of my deposit sums to cover the cost of replacing some items which they claim are missing or in bad repair.

I say that there is no proof that these items went missing before I left and that in any case I shouldn't have to pay the current market price to replace items that had been used for several years.

The sums involved are relatively small, a few hundred euros. Not worth running up lawyer or arbitration fees. I am not sure what to do.
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

I have been advised that this is the place to go.

http://www.logement.informationjeunesse ... nciliation
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

These people may be able to help
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/New-la ... t-helpline?
They are supposed to give advice on all aspects of renting.
Bonne chance
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

Thanks, Kate. Since posting, I have been able to prove beyond doubt my case in one argument and the landlord has agreed to pay me back this sum.

This leaves one outstanding item in dispute for a value of thirty euros. So if I go to arbitration it will be more on a matter of principle than anything else. Not sure if it is worth it.

Pearson
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

rental argument

Post by monsans »

I ended up with a department of the Mairie in Argèles owing to an accusation by my neighbours. I understand the department meets once a month to sort out neighbour arguments and other topics. It was sorted.