Foyer or Insert?

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Ben Briers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Foyer or Insert?

Post by Ben Briers »

Hello - can anyone explain in simple terms the difference between the two please? I have an open fire at present but looking to upgrade and would like to make the right choice.

Very many thanks
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

The traditional free standing wood burning stove with space all around it and a pipe coming out of it is a foyer.

The insert can have the front door almost flush to a wall and the fire behind it is an insert into the chimney, like an oven in an oven housing. The pipe comes off the top of the 'insert' (or cassette) and rises into the chimney.

Many inserts have additional options for flexible 'tubes' to take heat off the flat top and feed hot air into the same room or another. When I got ours I talked to the tech dept. of manufacturers and they said that the output via the tube was about 1 kw with no loss to core heating.

Hope that helps.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Owens88 wrote:The traditional free standing wood burning stove with space all around it and a pipe coming out of it is a foyer.

The insert can have the front door almost flush to a wall and the fire behind it is an insert into the chimney, like an oven in an oven housing. The pipe comes off the top of the 'insert' (or cassette) and rises into the chimney.

Many inserts have additional options for flexible 'tubes' to take heat off the flat top and feed hot air into the same room or another. When I got ours I talked to the tech dept. of manufacturers and they said that the output via the tube was about 1 kw with no loss to core heating.

Hope that helps.
A freestanding stove is a poêle. A foyer is a built-in stove which has a fireplace built around it: an insert is a built-in stove which is put into a pre-existing fireplace. You can find capable, and fuller, explanations if you search Google for "insert vs foyer".
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Thanks for the correction Martyn

I honestly thought that the presence or not of the 'fireplace' was decorative.

I learn as I live.

John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Ben Briers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ben Briers »

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I will use google as you suggested, thanks. If anyone else has a comment, I'd be grateful.

Thanks
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Owens88 wrote:
I honestly thought that the presence or not of the 'fireplace' was decorative.

John
It is, in a way. Some friends had a "naked" foyer for quite a few years before tarting it up. As often, it took them a while to assemble the budget for the finishing touches. Though I'm sure it can't be legal.