House valuations

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Karrie
Rank 4
Rank 4

House valuations

Post by Karrie »

Is it the norm to pay a fee in France to have an estate agent value a house? If so, what would it be likely to cost?
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

No, not the norm at all
Karrie
Rank 4
Rank 4

House valuations

Post by Karrie »

Oh good, more like the UK then. Is there anything to be wary of at this point?
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Here's some useful advice written by Simon Newman, who recently moved house
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Sellin ... France-Ten
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I think you would expect to pay a couple of hundred€ if it's for death duties or similar, but free if with a view to selling (but with no commitment to instruct that firm if/when you do). Going back to the Simon Newman piece, I'd warmly endorse the idea of triple-checking anything from the notaire. Ours, on a purchase, managed to leave off two out of the five cadastral lot numbers - among many lesser cockups: we could have failed to buy the scullery, downstairs loo, and back alley.

Quite how it ever came to have 5 lot numbers on one small plot is a bit of a mystery which I vaguely intended to research:thanks for reminding me.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Valuation? Ha !

Square metres * the going rate
or
'What was the price last time it was sold?' * inflation

I have yet to see anything more scientific amongst French valuers (mind you it is similar in Britain).

J
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Karrie
Rank 4
Rank 4

House valuations

Post by Karrie »

Well we have to start somewhere! Have just read Simon Newman's article, which is interesting. We will engage a UK based Anglo/French conveyancing solicitor too, to oversee it.

Thanks for all the advice.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

There are a couple of English estate agents based in the area who I'm sure would be happy to help you with valuations and marketing. I know of Beautiful South and Med and Mountain.

I'm not sure I see the point of employing a UK conveyancer. They are not going to know very much at all about housing transactions in France and will probably just get in the way and cost you time and anguish.

As you are in Vinca, you could try using Calmet-Janer in Prades as your notaire. I've used them to buy three properties and they have always been very thorough and not let anything slip through the net or stand for any argy-bargy from the other party.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29