The times they are a 'changin

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

The times they are a 'changin

Post by Santiago »

Over the last year, loads of our British friends have returned to the UK. Partly because of the economy and local work prospects but also many due to their kids' education.

However, in the last couple of months, I've seen an increase in people moving here to look for property again. Something that I've not seen for about 3 years.

It looks like we are due a new wave of ex-pats coming to discover the Roussillon.

Anyone else experienced this?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I'm receiving loads of emails and phone calls from people looking for accommodation (more letting than buying) so yes, you could be right. Hadnt really connected the dots and seen it as a new wave, but it does look that way.
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

times are changing!!

Post by monsans »

Kate wrote:I'm receiving loads of emails and phone calls from people looking for accommodation (more letting than buying) so yes, you could be right. Hadnt really connected the dots and seen it as a new wave, but it does look that way.
With reference to the above, there are at present 3 'items' for sale on this forum which are perhaps not from persons or items associated with the '66 area.. You say above that you have received several emails and phone calls for requests for rental accommodation, why are they not transfered to the open forum. I have already expressed my annoyance that properties are put on this forum for rental or sale and yet most conscientious persons pay subscriptions to sites for these businesses. Is there perhaps a touch of NOT the same appproach for all??
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Monsans do you think it right or wrong that requests for and the availability of properties for sale and rent should be put be put on the forum. You above comment, unless I have read it wrong (quite likely) appears contradictory.
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I am not surprised about a rise in house buying here, French economy is on the floor with the risk of recession and UK on the rise , housing market here is low.

I am not sure why anyone would up sticks a second time and return to UK for education, if they came from the UK in the first place.

What I have seen a rise of in the area is second home owners putting their homes on the holiday rental market.......
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

Maybe Monsans is referring to the "spam" adverts that appear on here from time to time but are usually deleted PDQ.

I only know one British couple who have packed up and returned to the UK. In their case it was marriage breakup and they had to sell up because neither could afford to buy out the other.

Mary
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi Monsans,
I always suggest to people that they put it on the forum, as I prefer not to get involved, have no property to rent and try and be fair by giving anybody a chance to respond. Sometimes I will put it on the forum for them and put 'received by email' .

Whether they then go ahead and post on the forum is up to them. We're not a property service (and by we I mean me, you and members of the forum) and tho I would love people to pay to advertise or search for property, I dont think they want to! :lol: :lol:

I hope my approach is the same for all. It's a free forum and as long as its not an actual business ad, I don't really see a problem, but happy to discuss.
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

times a changing

Post by monsans »

I do not see the difference in advertising a property for sale or rent with the proprietor's name or/and the address with photos on email request and a proprietor advertising their property through a mentioned site with the site No. of the property. Both ways are advertising for business and the paying proprietor is not advertisng the property site but their propety same as the other scenario. I have absolutely no objection obviously of forum members looking for properties for sale or rent. I have answered these requests in the past, but I have not been allowed to do so openly on the forum as it is considered business advertising. Replying to a property request but not naming a site is allowed on the open forum.
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: times a changing

Post by monsans »

monsans wrote:I do not see the difference in advertising a property for sale or rent with the proprietor's name or/and the address with photos on email request and a proprietor advertising their property through a mentioned site with the site No. of the property. Both ways are advertising for business and the paying proprietor is not advertisng the property site but their propety same as the other scenario. I have absolutely no objection obviously of forum members looking for properties for sale or rent. I have answered these requests in the past, but I have not been allowed to do so openly on the forum as it is considered business advertising. Replying to a property request but not naming a site is allowed on the open forum.
I am resubmitting this reply as other emails came in quickly after the above.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Are you an immobilier Monsans
Dylan
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

times are a changing

Post by monsans »

No I'm not an estate agent nor any connection with same.
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

I'm a bit baffled by all this but then maybe I'm not the sharpest tool in the box.

From what I can make out the majority of posts on this forum are about buying, selling, renting. exchanging all manner of things. Plus finding homes for unwanted animals and offers of tantric dancing. Some of the most frequent posters have tag lines openly advertising their services.

It's not that different on other forums or FB groups from what I can make out. Truth is that ex-pats don't seem to want to think about much else.

Mary
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Or maybe they have real life things going on, friends for discussion and social/personal issues and simply see the forum as a tool for help, support and advice on PO issues.

As I repeat fairly often, this is just a small regional forum. We're not trying to be anything else, a big national with fingers in pies around France. "....buying, selling, renting. exchanging all manner of things. Plus finding homes for unwanted animals and offers of tantric dancing" Sounds pretty good - for me, that's all part of the function of a local forum.

Of course Paul, as usual, you dont bring up all the many hundreds of posts that have helped people out with good solid advice, even from yourself under one of your various aliases. You are a knowledgable and well written member with loads of potential to help people, if you'd just stop playing the same old games. Come onto the forum as yourself, and welcome. But stop repeating the same old same old. I actually have a PM (from another of your aliases from ages ago where you use EXACTLY the same sentence as above :lol:
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

times a changing

Post by monsans »

I would suggest that neither of the above 2 emails answer my query.[/url]
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I would suggest you are right....but with respect, I'm not quite qure what the query is. Are you saying that one shouldnt be able to use the forum to offer/search for property or that you should but it should be 'payant'? Not being facetious, I'm honestly a bit lost here!

Where the forum is concerned, if I can help others to make a few quid, and it doesnt stop me from selling enough advertising to pay for the printing, design of POL and the upkeep of the site, I am happy to do it.

People are welcome to put their sigs at the bottom, for gites, services etc.
Sorry Monsans, it is maybe me, but I'm not quite sure what I'm answering.

The forum was never intended as a money maker for me. TBH, I've met so many great people though it that it has been worth its weight in gold for me personally, but all suggestions, ideas and thought for changes are always considered very seriously. Just not quite sure here what we're considering!! Soooooooooooryyyyyyyyy. Last week for POL and I DROWING in last minute stuff to do!! I might just be being a bit thick!! :?
Last edited by Kate on Mon 18 Nov 2013 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

times are a changing

Post by monsans »

You have refused or scrapped replies by me to persons looking for rentals. Your reason being that I have included the site with the property No. saying that it is advertising the 'site'. I am saying that with or without a 'site + property No.' there is no difference as either is advertising the property in question and NOT the 'site'.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi again. Sorry. Not me. Possibly past moderators trying to protect me, as they know how I struggle to keep all the P-O Life balls in the air and try to give me as many opportunities as poss to sell advertising to keep the whole thing from falling apart!
I have never refused, or scrapped your replies. In fact, I see one of the function of the forum to help people to find accomodation, make friends etc Think if you have a problem about this, let's continue it by PM or tel and see if we can sort it out. Contact me with pleasure.
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

times are a changing

Post by monsans »

I would suggest that it is unlikely to be someone else who scrapped my email. I am not a member for very long and do not email frequently. However I will test out my theory when the appropriate item arises.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

5 years is a pretty long time in my book!!
Dylan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

All I can do is repeat myself Monsans. Contact me by phone or PM with pleasure.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Only word for you, Kate me old mate:

Patient.
Tactful.
Humourous.
Helpful
(Well,that's 4 words)

On behalf of the majority of posters (I'm sure), very many thanks for all you do, and for the good humour and (see above) you do it with. :)
H & R
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Hear hear H & R.
Dylan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Must admit that I was a bit confused with monsans' question/request/complaint.

Is he upset that he can't mention his property on the forum or that these emails requesting accom are not being publicised or passed on to forum members? Or is he saying that his PMs have been intercepted?

Why not just put it in your signature monsans? Assuming it's just one holiday property and not a larger property service which would compete with AD's advertisers.

http://www.anglophone-direct.com/-Holiday-lets-
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

times are a changing

Post by monsans »

Yes, I am a member longer than those who advertise indirectly their products and are members for ONE day.
My gripe is that I can not publicise the site on which my property is advertised. I can advertise it providing I do not put the site in question on the forum. Others can be a member for a day and put out their products without actually mentioning their site but all the details necessary to promote their products.
As I said I will test the waters when the appropriate email comes up on the forum.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

This comes down to a gripe over the kitchen advertising me thinks which none of us want or care a damn about and which are removed by Admin as soon as they are spotted.
Dylan
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

tilmes are a changing

Post by monsans »

It is NOT. That's fine if nobody understand my English. I will test my theory when a suitable email appears.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Im sorry Monsans but I dont understand your reasoning. Why dont you just advertise your property without mentioning the site it is with at least you will have put it out there. If people are interested they will contact you and you can give them details of the site. I cant see that mentioning the site on here will find you any extra interested persons. Perhaps I am just being dim.
Dylan
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Sue wrote:Perhaps I am just being dim.
I don't think it's you who is being dim!

Russell.