Advice please on dangerous heated towel rail - our rights

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Jemima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Advice please on dangerous heated towel rail - our rights

Post by Jemima »

Does anyone know our rights? Can we get a refund on the travel and builders costs to get this changed as Leroy Merlins seem to only be offering a credit note?

ghttp://unsafeproducts.eu/2012/12/07/heated-towel-rail-milano/

Unsafe Products
Product safety and recalls in the European Union

Description
Heated towel rail – Milano. The recall affects models bought from April 2006.

Type and model number
900 W Reference Leroy Merlin: 66162285. Batch number/Barcode: 3351840911788

Danger
Burns and Cuts
There is a risk that the product may explode which could cause burns and cuts. The technical reasons for the fault have not been identified with certainty.
Three incidents of explosion without injury reported.
The product does not comply with the Low Voltage Directive.

Measures
Voluntary measures: Recall of the product from end users.

Reporting country
France

RAPEX Reference no.
A12/1804/12

Thank you :?
Jemima
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hello Jemima,
I suggest you ask for Tracy at the reception at Leroy Merlin. She works there and is English speaking (in fact she's a Yorkshire lass!) and she should be able to help you out if there is anything more that Leroy can do, or point you in the right direction if not. Best of luck
joffan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by joffan »

They are offering an exchange.

And a 30€ voucher !! wow
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

We had the same problem and completely agree with you.

We bought 3 towel rails and started receiving registered letters like you wouldn't believe informing us to return them - we took the first one back and got a credit note and a 50 euro gift voucher. When I took the second one back they didn't want to give me another gift voucher for 50 euros but I informed them of the time it took me to take the rail down and I have now had to tile the wall as the it got damaged in the process - a days work.

Used this argument and got my gift voucher for 50 euros, but the women at LeRoy was not easy to deal with.

Still yet to take the 3rd one back as it is in the gite and will require work on the wall afterwards. I guess it depends what size heater you have as to how much of a gift voucher they give?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Jemima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thank you all - it got worse!

Post by Jemima »

Thank you all for your info and advice.

The 30 euros did not cover the fuel and builders costs and Leroy Melins did not have any 600 watt replacements and then when we took a 500 watt one reluctantly to the till they charged us 10 euros more than the label price because they could not override the cash till and we were told to take it or leave it.

No UK staff on yesterday Yorkshire or otherwise.

We shall not go back the service was rubbish they caused this by selling sub standard dangerous goods and then ripped us off.

Sorry for the rant but it helps a little.
Jemima
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I'm going to pass this on to the directeur if that's OK with you. The take it or leave it attitude is very irritating when its their fault you are in that situation. You're absolutely right to have a rant, but Frederic Delard, the manager says that his English speaking clientele is very important to him, so let's see if he is prepared to put his money where his mouth is! Will send this to Tracy and ask her to translate it for him.
Jemima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thank you Kate

Post by Jemima »

Yes please pass it on. My husband speaks pretty good French it is not a language issue it's a could not be bothered one. In the UK stores have to honour the price displayed but I do not know if that is the case here. I will send you an email with our details. Thank you.
Jemima
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Normally I find Leroys better than the other DIY shops for customer service but in this case they were shockingly bad.

They have to, by law, inform everyone to return their towel rails, but they clearly don't want to recompense them.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Jemima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Refund inequalities add to unfairness

Post by Jemima »

Hi, I can fully understand Santiago getting a bigger credit note if the towel rails were more expensive but the travel to return them and the removal and refitting costs are the same. If Santiago got 50 euros and the rest of us got 30 Euros it is not only unfair it does not make sense unless we are into he / she who shouts louder or who happens to be on duty at Merlins Leroy which is well done to them but makes our situation even more unreasonable.
Jemima
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Is French law different? In the UK you have the right with faulty goods to a replacement or a refund (ie money not just a voucher against another purchase).
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

faulty towel heaters

Post by monsans »

I got a letter this morning from Weldon as regards the faulty items. Don't know yet if I have one but I do have a Weldon points card.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Different item but same shop, ie Leroy Merlin. One day last week hubby went into Leroy Merlin, Perpignan whilst I went into Kiabi (got to get your priorities right). Amongst other things he purchased some ready made up very expensive tile grout. It came in 2 tubs that you mix together. He opened the lid on the larger tub and we both nearly keeled over with the fumes. When I read the instructions etc it mentioned about this paste stuff being toxic. Aside from hubbies health using it, we have 2 dogs. Anyway he went off to Weldom and bought masks, gloves and protectors for his eyes. But having slept on it over the weekend decided against using it for the sake of the dogs. Off we went to Perpignan this afternoon. I explained to Sandrine on the customer service desk that hubby speaks no french and definitely reads none and that I have now redad it and I am fearful for dogs and hubbies health. She just smiled and refunded the price paid to our account via our bank card. Thank you Sandrine and Leroy Merlin service with a smile.
Dylan
Jemima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is there any response from the manager of Leroy Merlins?

Post by Jemima »

Hi Kate,

Is there any response from the manager at Leroy Merlins?

Please some users have a better service but for those of us who have not it does not make it better?

Happy New Year
Jemima
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Sorry Jemima, I just wanted to show the other side of the coin. I hope you receive a satisfactory conclusion shortly.
Dylan
Jemima
Rank 0
Rank 0

No problems

Post by Jemima »

No problems Dylan I just did not want to loose sight of the fact that Kate kindly offered to take up the issues and we have not heard back yet so I am assuming he has not been positive.
Jemima
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi,
Yes, I had a long chat with the reception desk and the girls there were very surprised and said that they would pass it on to the directeur and get someone to answer the complaint directly on the forum. Still holding my breath! In Leeds at mo, but will get back onto it when I get home.
Jemima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thank you

Post by Jemima »

Thank you Kate. The way we and others were treated was hard to justify so I am not expecting he will do anything. Hope you are not delayed by the weather.
Jemima