Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

French squatters

Post by gianni »

Hi to all
anyone know what to do in france if someone occupy your property without any contract?
Thank you
Gianni
gianni
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Have a friend who is in roughly the same condition. He has had to have a huissier to try and get the squatter to leave , this didn't work and the huissier has now got him a court date for the 7th september to try and get this person out. he has had to pay 500 euros up front just to get the procedure going, the squatter has no intention on leaving and is trying to hang on until october ( you cannot get anyone out from october to april) .
With or without a contract it is very difficult and expensive to get some out of your property,
Lisa
gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gianni »

Thanks Lisa...in the mean time i disconnected the electricity and the water. So the best thing to do is to find a good lawyer?
gianni
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

If I remember right, legally you are not allowed to cut the water but you can the electricity. For the electric be aware that if the squatter rings up edf they can put the electric in their name and then not pay the bill! you need to tell the edf that they must not put the electric back on unless you authorise it ( another friend of mine has people who rent her house and have not paid for the last 2 years, they kept changing the electric into different names and not paying the bills until the edf finally cottoned on and contacted my friend, the electric is now cut off but they are still staying put even though there is a court order). You will definately need a lawyer and expect to be patient as it could take years to get them out ( you can't get them out in winter so I'm afraid that you will be stuck with them until april unless they make the decision to leave). Other solution is the not so friendly way if you know anybody willing to help you.
good luck
gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gianni »

Thanks Tia
gianni
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Best of luck Gianni. What a nightmare.

Here is a helpline number for tenants and landlords http://www.anglophone-direct.com/New-la ... t-helpline? tho I rhink Lisa has probably given you the best advice. Might be worth giving them a ring, but bear in mind that the law tends to be fairly firmly on the side of the tenant in these situation. Sooooo unfair.
gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gianni »

Hi Kate and thanks for your message. I am reading around different website about the french law against the squatter. Apparently the landlords has less right if the property is abandoned from years but no if the property is used regularly. In any case i'll contact your helpline.
Thanks
Gianni
gianni
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I know that if the house is furnished (even just the basic essentials like 1 bed, table and chairs) then it does give the landloard better/different rights - if that helps you and I don't think the winter rule applies. But I was told this by my bank manager a long time ago.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29