SOS - urgent. Speech therapist needed.

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

SOS - urgent. Speech therapist needed.

Post by Kate »

Here is a plea from a lady who has just been discharged from Montpellier hospital, last Thursday, having had a large brain tumour removed. She now desperately needs to find a speech therapist and a kiné but just doesn't know where to start. She needs an English speaking, qualified speech therapist and if possible an English speaking kiné. She lives in La Tour Bas Elne but distance isn't too important.

If you can help, or have any suggestions, please post here or contact me by email on info@anglophone-direct.com and I will pass all mails on.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

English speaking kiné, you have David at Jacquie Piquemal's place in Ceret, Kate.

http://forum.anglophone-direct.com/ftopic8875.php

I'm sorry, the only speech therapists I know are in Amelie and Ceret and don't speak English.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

There's another British Kiné in Argeles. This is near Carrefour but the exact place is across the street from the Elephant Blue. I'm not sure of her name but she lives in Sorede. She's married to our Sorede Cow herder, Patrick.

I do have used a speech therapist but she only speaks French.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

There were some good suggestions made in the thread when I was looking for a physiotherapist

http://forum.anglophone-direct.com/ftop ... -asc-0.php
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Thanks everyone. Will pass these on. Looks like it's going to be the speech therapist the major problem.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I will leave a note with the Doctors i work for, about the speach therapist there is also an English Osteopath in the same building and will leave him a note too.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Just keeping this on the front page. Big thank you to Opas who is squeezing local doctors for info. No luck yet on the speech therapist.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

There used to be another Speech Therapist in Argeles near the Credit Agricole but I don't know if she speaks English. For some reason I remember she speaks English but the I don't think her practice will be in English.

There was another woman who used to live in Villneuve de Raho and she found an English speech therapist but she's gone now. I thought someone from this forum gave her the contact.

There is a organization for the Orthophonists. Not sure where it's located but they should know if somebody speaks English.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Here's the listing for the PO - if any name rings a bell?
http://www.annuairesante.com/as_154_66_ ... tales.html#

(One name in St. Esteve looks familiar??)
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I looked through the list that Roger found. My Orthophonist was listed for Argeles but the other woman wasn't listed anymore.

Probably that this person should call the various speech therapists that are the closest to where she lives.

Blackduff
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Kate
This woman maybe will need something from the internet. There are plenty of groups which give English help but this is not cheap. Still, I don't think that she will get what she needs in English within the French system.

There's another problem too. We really do not know what's needed for her. In my case, I have Aphasia but there's a big group of other maladies that are treated by speech therapists.

She might get help from the UK system too. Here's a good source for UK help. It's called "Different Strokes" and the site is as follows:

http://www.differentstrokes.co.uk/

She might find some help from the people on this group.

Blackduff
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I asked my wife if she remembers this woman who used an English speaking orthophonist. There was a orthophonist which lived here from time to time and then went back to the UK. We might know who this person, since Lindsey (the woman with Aphasia) used to be on the Anglophone-Direct. She found this English speaking speech therapist from somebody who is from the PO.

This was about five years back. Anybody knows of this person?

Blackduff