Some medical advice needed.

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

Dimetrodon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Some medical advice needed.

Post by Dimetrodon »

I had a health scare a few days ago and it brought it home to me that we have not registered at a doctors yet. This is really stupid I know, especially as we have been here for 5 months now.

We live just outside Ceret and so visited Dr Soloman's surgery opposite the main car park. Unfortunatley they are not taking new patients right now.
Can anyone suggest an english speaking doctor nearby? Also where is the best place to go for private health insurance?

I have really got to get this sorted pretty quickly.

Thanks in advance.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I go to Dr Marie-Reine Mahieu in Amelie les Bains. She was educated in the States and speaks English fluently - added to which she's a really nice lady!
I don't know if she is taking on patients at the moment, but a quick call to her surgery will tell you - 04.68.39.22.68

As for your mutuelle - that depends on what you want, there are thousands of packages on offer! Try speaking to your insurance agent, or your bank.

A good one for people situated down here is 'Via Sante' which used to be La Roussillonaise. Many of the medical practitioners around here have an arrangement with Via Sante so the bill is sent direct to them and you don't have to faff around reclaiming what you've paid out.

Hope you're feeling better. :D
Dimetrodon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dimetrodon »

Thanks so much for your reply. I will try and make contact with her right now.
Its one thing getting there, its another getting back.
www.powerblogtactics.com
www.andy-beveridge.com
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

We've lived in Ceret for 5 yrs now and have Dr Ropion as our GP. He speaks pretty good English,and is an excellent Doctor. He does a sideline in homeopathic medicine,if that's of any interest. I think he IS taking new patients right now.

6 Av M Aribaud, Ceret.

04 68 87 16 33
06 81 90 63 05
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

You're welcome - I hope you manage to get things sorted quickly.

Here is the Via Sante website link for you.

http://www.mutuelle-viasante.fr/
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

thumbelina wrote:As for your mutuelle - that depends on what you want, there are thousands of packages on offer! Try speaking to your insurance agent, or your bank.
We've used the one since 1992 in Pont de Reynès which used to be "Assurance 66" but is now fully AXA managed by Mr Santalo.

(Ooops - just thought.. have no idea if he speaks English , though!)
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I go to Claire Hauffman in Ceret, a little before the stade on the same side of the road. Really nice lady, some English but not fluent by any means.
For your insurance, do shop around. I know of someone who got two quotes for her mutuelle, where one was just over three times as much for exactly the same service.
There are several English speaking insurers advertising in PO Life. Worth ringing them all for quotes!!

PS Don't know if you're a man or a lady but she is also a gynie - no use of course if you are a guy lol
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Jean-Noel Santalo does speak a little English, I believe Roger. :D