Visiting a Dr in UK

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Visiting a Dr in UK

Post by collioure_bee »

What's the score on that?

I may have to go see one while I am in UK. Am I allowed to? I don't think I signed off from my old one, and as it's not unusual for me not to visit once in five years he won't suspect anything. If I am signed off because my mrs got too thorough can I still go see one?
"She knew the price of everything, but the value of nothing"

If it's hard to do, it's not worth doing.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Visiting a Dr in UK

Post by polremy »

collioure_bee wrote:What's the score on that?

I may have to go see one while I am in UK. Am I allowed to? I don't think I signed off from my old one, and as it's not unusual for me not to visit once in five years he won't suspect anything. If I am signed off because my mrs got too thorough can I still go see one?
If you have a carte vitale here then you should get a European Health card through CPAM - it's free.
This will entitle you to health care (only emergency, not preplanned I think) in England or in any other European country.
Mind you, I would just try to book an appointment in the normal way first and only flash the plastic if they query your entitlement.
I was treated (wonderfully) in England recently - had visits to the nurse for a dressing to be changed. No problem, no charge.
edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by edann42 »

If your'e fully in the French system bee, you can only see a doctor using your EH1C. If you are not, then you should still be covered by the NHS and therefore should be able to bluff your way in to your old Doctor!!
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

I have a carte vital but never used it. Does that mean I am fully in the system here? I'm not signed on at any drs.

polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

collioure_bee wrote:I have a carte vital but never used it. Does that mean I am fully in the system here? I'm not signed on at any drs.
you have a card. you have a number.
yep - you're in the system.
you're just healthy!!!!!
or scared of doctors.
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

Scared of Doctors LOL. :lol:

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

ah! but not dentists or their receptionists :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

The key thing here,Bee,is,as Edann says ,having an EHIC card. Be sure to apply for one early from the CPAM (at least 2 wks before you go),and remember that they are only valid for one year.

You would unquestionably get seen by a UK doctor in emergency without one,but having one just takes the chance out of it.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

visiting a Dr in UK

Post by Sue »

Since 1st May this year you must apply to England for an EHIC not CPAM. You can contact them for a form online but you cant apply online. The English card is valid for 5 years.
Dylan
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

AAAAAgh. I remember seeing that now.
Sorry, CB.
Never listen to anything I say in future.
It's just that ours is still current and we haven't had to go through UK yet.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: visiting a Dr in UK

Post by john »

Sue wrote:Since 1st May this year you must apply to England for an EHIC not CPAM. You can contact them for a form online but you cant apply online. The English card is valid for 5 years.
Are you sure about this,Sue? Surely the European Health Card (EHIC in English, CEAM in French) is issued by your full time healthcare provider. If Bee lives in France permanently,and has a SS number here and a Carte Vitale,then his issuer is the local CPAM. It certainly was in my case when I got one in the summer.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

visiting Dr in UK

Post by Sue »

My husband and I are both resident here in France, we have Carte Vitales and also pay tax here. We have both obtained new EHIC through England as was the new ruling which came in as I said before on 1st May.
Dylan
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

visiting Dr in UK

Post by Sue »

Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Are you refering to retired people in france?

I renewed all the family cards in July via CPAM not UK
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

visiting Dr in UK

Post by Sue »

No, I am retired but my husband is only 48!! He got his from England.
Dylan
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Sue's right.
I have read all about it - just forgot.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Visiting Dr in UK

Post by Sue »

On reading article again I think we could both be right in that at the moment it affects retirees only. For healthcare purposes my hubby is my dependent and because I am retired he is also my EHIC dependent.
Dylan
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

Wow, think I'll just try my luck, see if I am still on the list. Need to speak to him as he knows the history of my immediate family and it's all connected. He may be able to help with other things too so will keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks for all the help.

Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Thats what I would do Bee, they won't turn you away...good luck and good health..
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
Serge

Post by Serge »

Try not to mention Brentford and you will probably be OK, most of the GP's in the UK are busy counting money these days anyway ..................... :roll:

Legacy from the last government! :roll:
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

Funny you should say that serge, the doctor (based in Fareham) is the club's doctor!

thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: visiting Dr in UK

Post by thumbelina »

Sue wrote:No, I am retired but my husband is only 48!! He got his from England.
Toy boy!

Chapeau, Sue!! :D :D :D :D :D
:lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hope all OK, Bee! Sending lots of hugs xxx
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

collioure_bee wrote:Wow, think I'll just try my luck, see if I am still on the list. Need to speak to him as he knows the history of my immediate family and it's all connected. He may be able to help with other things too so will keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks for all the help.
If you know your last address details etc,Bee,then you will still be on the records,have a NHS number etc. When I broke my leg in the UK a couple of yrs ago,they had all my old NHS details online,even though I'd been left the UK for over 3 yrs at the time.

Failing all else,if you are staying with family you could always register with the Dr as a "temporary resident". You'd probably have to pay,but just claim it back from the CPAM when you get back here.

Re Euro Health Cards,I guess they are issued by the people who provide the funding for a given individual's Healthcare. In the case of a retiree,then that would,in practice,be the British DWP,so it's no doubt the reason why their card would be issued in the UK.