Visiting a doctor in the UK

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Visiting a doctor in the UK

Post by carol sheridan »

I needed to see a doctor to get my blood presssure checked as I had three small nose bleeds since I arrived in the UK (I take a beta-blocker). My daughter's doctor wanted £90 for the consultation. I know I would get 70% reimbursed by the CPAM, but it could take months and the charge seems exorbitant.
A friend tells me that she paid nothing for a visit when in the UK.
I know I could register with a UK GP as I shall be here for several months at least, but I certainly don't want to risk compromising my CPAM cover.
I have searched the UK NHS site and can't find any guidance on fees.

Has anyone who is a French resident had any experience of visiting a doctor in the UK?
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

My understanding was that with an EU health card a visitor was entitled to healthcare in another EU country on the same basis as the citizens of that country - which in the case of the UK means free. Have I got it wrong?
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Can you still use E111, does that still apply?
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

The EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) has replaced the E111 form, but you apply in the same way. The French Carte Européenne, for use in other parts of the EU by those registered for healthcare in France, is only valid for 1 year, but not sure about in the UK. Don't forget to apply for one if you are a Brit, registered with CPAM in France, going back to blighty for a visit. I think there's a link on the forum about this.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Visiting a doctor in the UK

Post by Roger O »

carol sheridan wrote:I needed to see a doctor to get my blood presssure checked as I had three small nose bleeds since I arrived in the UK (I take a beta-blocker). My daughter's doctor wanted £90 for the consultation. I know I would get 70% reimbursed by the CPAM, but it could take months and the charge seems exorbitant.
A friend tells me that she paid nothing for a visit when in the UK.
I know I could register with a UK GP as I shall be here for several months at least, but I certainly don't want to risk compromising my CPAM cover.
I have searched the UK NHS site and can't find any guidance on fees.

Has anyone who is a French resident had any experience of visiting a doctor in the UK?
Carol, do you still have your old NHS card? or at least the number? I used mine (with my old Torquay address back in 88/89 and after 18 years' absence in Switerland) and it was as if I'd never left! Guess in 2009 things have tightened up a bit?

PS have you been on Total France lately? Check out the thread Members I'd like to meet! You've got a fan!!!
Last edited by Roger O on Thu 02 Apr 2009 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

We were quoted £25 to see the doctor in England.
It had been a stressful visit (my father's death) and Mr. Polremy was feeling the effects.
In the end, after we explained the problem to the receptionist, the nurse saw us for nothing and took his blood pressure. It was high as feared. Then the doctor squeezed him in (oo, er) between patients.
Why not have another try - in person, rather than on the phone.

Carol, at the crazy price you were told, it would be cheaper to buy a blood pressure monitor!
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I did go in person, it was the receptionist who quoted me £90. I do have my French Carte Europeene and of course after seven years in France and being over 65 I am a full member of the local CPAM.
Roger, I do still have my old NHS medical card - I might try that. And I did read Bentley's nice post, and yours, and replied! From the number of kind messages on thefrenchforum I seem to have made a lot of 'cyber friends' - people were very kind and sympathetic about my enforced departure from my beloved Pyrenees.

I did buy a blood pressure monitor for £10, and if I am doing it right my readings are fine - 129/80. I have had no more trouble with nose bleeds, and I think it would be silly to increase my dosage of the beta-blocker without consulting a doctor, even though at 20 mg. a day it is about one quarter of the normal dosage.
Thanks to everyone for your replies - I knew I could count on you.
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

Sorry to be slow chipping in with my penny's worth, but here goes.

Firstly, please don't blame me - I don't make the rules! Secondly, the rules regarding eligability for NHS treatment via a GP (as opposed to hospital) are not completely clear cut and can be interpreted differently by different surgeries.

Anyone at all who needs "emergency" treatment should get it free on the NHS. "Emergency" is not defined however. Clearly a heart attack is, and a simple cold isn't, but what about cystitis for example?

To be eligable for free NHS treatment you have to LIVE in the UK (stricktly speaking for the last 6 months). Just having a UK Passport doesn't count. Nor does a Pension. Nor paying UK Tax. You have to LIVE here.

An E111 covers treatment for illness (emergency or otherwise) while visiting the UK, but does not cover routine matters ("running maintenance") like BP checks or repeat medication. (Seems fair to me.)

GPs are encouraged to be more businesslike and charge a fee for stuff that the NHS does not pay for. Many punters don't like it because for generations the GPs have been doing anything and everything for free, and people have naturally grown to expect that.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

What Webdoc says is certainly my understanding of the situation,gleaned from GP friends from my previous incarnation in the UK.

As with so many things it comes down to "grey areas" such as what constitutes an emergency. Presumably an acute infection(eg bronchitis) would count,but an ongoing condition (asthma,arthritis etc,) would not. As an aside,would one be entitled to domiciliary visits?

I'd agree with Webdoc that French residents should not expect routine stuff like hypertension checks to be carried out by UK NHS doctors free of charge.

I gathered that Carol was moving back to the UK anyway,so presumably,when she's done that and filled all the necessary paperwork to that effect,as a pensioner ,she'll get free NHS cover anyway. I'm a bit puzzled as to how she's going to continue CPAM affiliation,when she doesn't fulfil one of the basic criteria...ie permanent French residency.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I am aware of all the legalities and I don't expect anything for nothing - I just thought £90 was a bit steep for a short consultation - I just wanted to ask if it would be safe to increase my dosage.

I am in a very difficult position at the moment - I don't know how long it will be before my daughter's case is settled and until it is she will continue to be very depressed and anxious, as well as needing physical help with housework and personal care. I am hoping that once the terrible uncertainty of the last five and a half years is over her mental health will improve and she will be able to pay for domestic help. I don't want to burn my boats in France, as I desperately want to return, so I am leaving it to the last possible legal limit (ie. 183 days in the tax year) before I declare myself a UK resident again. I still have an address in France, a French car and insurance, and an account with Credit Agricole to pay my insurance.

Once my six months 'allowance' is up, I will write to both tax authorities and register with an NHS doctor in England. If I am ultimately able to return to France, I will just have to start again from scratch.

No wonder I am feeling a bit stressed! I don't mind doing all the housework, shopping, and cooking and running the grandchildren all over the place, but I am feeling very claustrophobic, sharing a small house with four other people, and really missing the Pyrenees. Still, I had a lovely day yesterday, meandering over the Wolds then walking for a couple of hours in the Dolby Forest. East Yorkshire has some lovely countryside, and while the children are off school next week I hope to get further afield, to the Dales and even the Lake District.

I am using all my optimistic genes at the moment, so I can keep up my daughter's spirits - thank goodness I am by nature a Pollyanna.
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

There are 2 ways of registering with a GP - permanent and temporary resident.

To be a permanent resident you need proof of ID (Passport or photo-driving-licence) PLUS proof of residence i.e. utility bill in your own name (which for some is difficult).

Temporary residents just turn up and say "I'm staying with Aunty Dolly for a couple of weeks and now I have this sore throat". One has to give a home address (in the UK) and name/address of usual GP, but no other formal checks are made. This is clearly potentially open to abuse.