Doctors and Dentists

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Julia
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu 05 Apr 2007 15:46
Contact:

Doctors and Dentists

Post by Julia » Tue 13 May 2008 10:44

Hi all

I have (finally, after being here for 9 months) made a dental appointment and have booked with ----------- in Elne. When I phoned and spoke to him to make the appointment, he spoke good English. However I have just noticed that he also advertises as a GP. I have not heard of one person being qualified as both a doctor and a dentist. It has made me think twice about going to him and I therefore wondered if anybody has used him as either a GP or dentist or both and, if so, whether you would recommend him. Thanks. Julia

User avatar
john
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue 20 Dec 2005 20:14
Contact:

Post by john » Tue 13 May 2008 11:21

A dentist AND a Doctor?????

The man must be ROLLING in money!!!!!

User avatar
Kate
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1841
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2005 19:48
Contact:

Post by Kate » Tue 13 May 2008 13:33

Go to mine Julia - he's a safer bet!!
Dentist - Docteur Jacque Respaut
3 rue Citadelle 66740 LAROQUE DES ALBERES - Phone: 04 68 89 30 98
Nice chap too, excellent English (with English receptionist to boot) and has not yet made me cry.

A dentist and GP rolled into one sounds too wierd to me - like in small American towns out in the sticks where the GP is also the local undertaker!!!

User avatar
john
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue 20 Dec 2005 20:14
Contact:

Post by john » Tue 13 May 2008 13:49

Kate wrote:A dentist and GP rolled into one sounds too wierd to me - !!!
Kate,you paint a picture of the guy curing your piles with one hand and fixing your toothache with the other,at the same time....

User avatar
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon 11 Feb 2008 15:11

Post by rbg » Tue 13 May 2008 14:10

Can highly recommend Dr Paget , Dentist in Peprignan centre. On cours palmarole.

User avatar
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed 21 Dec 2005 17:34
Contact:

Post by Marguerite & Steve » Tue 13 May 2008 14:36

john wrote:
Kate wrote:A dentist and GP rolled into one sounds too wierd to me - !!!
Kate,you paint a picture of the guy curing your piles with one hand and fixing your toothache with the other,at the same time....

OUCH......Hope he doesn't start pulling at the wrong end... :?

Julia
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu 05 Apr 2007 15:46
Contact:

Post by Julia » Tue 13 May 2008 14:38

Thank you so far! I think I'll cancel....!!

jsi
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue 30 May 2006 12:45

Post by jsi » Tue 13 May 2008 16:01

I have used ------------- he seems to have a good reputation but he did a crown for me and since then I have had a lot problems with it.
I went back but he seemed to think raging pain afterwards was normal !!
Usual French way -I've got your money - so not interested

Julia
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu 05 Apr 2007 15:46
Contact:

Post by Julia » Tue 13 May 2008 16:26

Thank you for that. I've also received a PM with negative comments so he's cancelled!! I'm glad I asked the question. J

User avatar
Kate
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1841
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2005 19:48
Contact:

Post by Kate » Tue 13 May 2008 17:44

I have edited the name as I'm not sure where we stand legally here, so will err on the side of caution!!

Carmen
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon 07 Apr 2008 16:26
Contact:

Re: Doctors and Dentists

Post by Carmen » Tue 13 May 2008 18:01

Julia wrote:Hi all

I have (finally, after being here for 9 months) made a dental appointment and have booked with ----------- in Elne. When I phoned and spoke to him to make the appointment, he spoke good English. However I have just noticed that he also advertises as a GP. I have not heard of one person being qualified as both a doctor and a dentist. It has made me think twice about going to him and I therefore wondered if anybody has used him as either a GP or dentist or both and, if so, whether you would recommend him. Thanks. Julia

You know Julia, Dr.Martin in the centre medical in Cabestany has a good reputation.

Carmen
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon 07 Apr 2008 16:26
Contact:

Re: Doctors and Dentists

Post by Carmen » Tue 13 May 2008 18:05

Carmen wrote:
Julia wrote:Hi all

I have (finally, after being here for 9 months) made a dental appointment and have booked with ----------- in Elne. When I phoned and spoke to him to make the appointment, he spoke good English. However I have just noticed that he also advertises as a GP. I have not heard of one person being qualified as both a doctor and a dentist. It has made me think twice about going to him and I therefore wondered if anybody has used him as either a GP or dentist or both and, if so, whether you would recommend him. Thanks. Julia

You know Julia, Dr.Martin in the centre medical in Cabestany has a good reputation.
As a dentist of course!!!

User avatar
Kate
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1841
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2005 19:48
Contact:

Post by Kate » Tue 13 May 2008 18:39

Good ol' doc Martin - you might have to give him the boot!!

Carmen
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon 07 Apr 2008 16:26
Contact:

Post by Carmen » Tue 13 May 2008 18:53

Kate wrote:Good ol' doc Martin - you might have to give him the boot!!
To give him the "boot" Kate...is that good or bad?? :oops:

User avatar
Kate
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1841
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2005 19:48
Contact:

Post by Kate » Tue 13 May 2008 18:59

Ha ha. Sorry Carmen - it's my sad sense of humour. doc Martens were the boots worn by the 'bovva boys' or skinheads' in the late 60s/early 70s (dates could be well out) along with stay press trousers, checked shirts and braces.

Carmen
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon 07 Apr 2008 16:26
Contact:

Post by Carmen » Tue 13 May 2008 19:09

Kate wrote:Ha ha. Sorry Carmen - it's my sad sense of humour. doc Martens were the boots worn by the 'bovva boys' or skinheads' in the late 60s/early 70s (dates could be well out) along with stay press trousers, checked shirts and braces.
OH BOY Kate nuice one !!!! Yes I do remember, i actually had 2 pairs, black and purple.

User avatar
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat 21 Jan 2006 18:03
Contact:

Post by PaddyFrog » Tue 13 May 2008 23:50

Julia wrote:Thank you so far! I think I'll cancel....!!
Julia

I think the posters may have misled you.

A GP/ Médecins Traitant is a Generalist what we in the UK term a Doctor.

But a Dentist is a Docteur en chirurgie dentair.
He is also a doctor who specialises in Dentistry.

A Vet is also a Doctor.

All three would be addressed as Doctor.
But you would not ask a generalist to deal with your Cat.

Hope this clears up general misunderstandings.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Michael

Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon 16 Oct 2006 14:12

Doctors and dentists

Post by Rose » Wed 14 May 2008 21:57

In the UK a surgeon becomes a Mr. when he has taken his fellowship exam i.e. FRCS.

A vet is only called Dr. if he has a PhD.

Dentists are usually called Mr. as they are dental surgeons.

I think this is correct.

Chris
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon 09 Jan 2006 00:38
Contact:

Post by Chris » Wed 14 May 2008 22:28

Doc Holliday was also a dentist, as well as a TB sufferer, opium addict, and an extremely accurate and fast shot with his .45 (by all accounts.)

Post Reply