Form S1

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Form S1

Post by martyn94 » Tue 26 Jan 2016 11:10

I am coming up to 65, and have found out (I hope) how to apply. But it is not clear whether you can apply in advance, or have to wait until the date (unlike the NIRP, where it is clear that you can apply 4 months in advance). Given the likely delays at the French end, I'd like to waste no time. Any experience?

User avatar
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri 21 May 2010 16:03
Contact:

Post by russell » Tue 26 Jan 2016 11:39

Try calling the DHSS in Newcastle - Non-resident Individuals Helpline 0151 472 6196. I've found them to be surprisingly helpful.

Russell.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 » Tue 26 Jan 2016 12:19

I did, and hanged around on hold. But it was Monday morning. I'll try again.

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue 02 Oct 2012 23:58
Contact:

Post by Smiley G » Tue 26 Jan 2016 18:02

Martyn, You'll automatically receive a form S1 once DWP have written to you confirming that "We have decided to award you a pension of £xxx per week"
You do of course have to apply to receive your pension in the first place and a call to one of the excellent people in Newcastle should include the request for an S1 to be sent.
When you receive it, you will need to take it to CPAM in Perpignan to have your status changed. Our mutuelle, Exclusive Healthcare (Ascore Gestion) asked us for copies as well.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

User avatar
Kate
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1825
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2005 19:48
Contact:

Post by Kate » Thu 28 Jan 2016 12:31

Oooo, hate reading all this - it reminds me that I should be thinking about it myself. If (hypothetically) I was 60, should I now be ringing Newcastle or am I still too young? :oops:

User avatar
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1768
Joined: Tue 02 Dec 2008 15:08
Contact:

Post by Sue » Thu 28 Jan 2016 13:39

Apply here for a statement. I think your retirement age will be between 60 and 65. Unlike some of us who got it dead on 60 :lol:

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension
Dylan

User avatar
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue 20 Dec 2005 20:08
Contact:

Post by Helen » Thu 28 Jan 2016 14:24

Hate to break the news to you Kate - me being just that little bit older than your hypothetical age!! - but retirement age for us is now 66.

There's been a growing amount of pressure on the government with claims that it is being unfair to women born in the early and mid 50's because of the speed at which the retirement age has gone up.

More here :

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/j ... ary-debate

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1379
Joined: Tue 01 Sep 2009 21:21
Contact:

Post by Allan » Thu 28 Jan 2016 14:41

Smiley G wrote:Martyn, You'll automatically receive a form S1 once DWP have written to you confirming that "We have decided to award you a pension of £xxx per week"
You do of course have to apply to receive your pension in the first place and a call to one of the excellent people in Newcastle should include the request for an S1 to be sent.
When you receive it, you will need to take it to CPAM in Perpignan to have your status changed. Our mutuelle, Exclusive Healthcare (Ascore Gestion) asked us for copies as well.
Why would Martyn need to have his status changed if he is already in the French Heath system?

Is it obligatory? Or beneficial?

User avatar
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1768
Joined: Tue 02 Dec 2008 15:08
Contact:

Post by Sue » Thu 28 Jan 2016 16:03

Sorry Kate, Helen is so right 66 it is. Personally I think it stinks along with the removal of WFA.
Dylan

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue 02 Oct 2012 23:58
Contact:

Post by Smiley G » Thu 28 Jan 2016 18:25

Allan wrote:
Smiley G wrote:Martyn, You'll automatically receive a form S1 once DWP have written to you confirming that "We have decided to award you a pension of £xxx per week"
You do of course have to apply to receive your pension in the first place and a call to one of the excellent people in Newcastle should include the request for an S1 to be sent.
When you receive it, you will need to take it to CPAM in Perpignan to have your status changed. Our mutuelle, Exclusive Healthcare (Ascore Gestion) asked us for copies as well.
Why would Martyn need to have his status changed if he is already in the French Heath system?

Is it obligatory? Or beneficial?
Allan, Yes if you want to join the system. The French authorities have to register the S1 and use it to send back to the U.K. We've done it twice and know the system. When you get your S1 from the Pension Centre you sign your bit and submit it to CPAM who then do their bit with it and forward it elsewhere for onward transmission back to the U.K.
We found that CPAM like to renew their dossier on you so it's best to take with you all your normal supporting paperwork- Legal Certs. EDF bill etc.
Martyn IS in the system but his membership changes* once the S1 is registered.
* The French get reimbursed by the U.K.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1379
Joined: Tue 01 Sep 2009 21:21
Contact:

Post by Allan » Thu 28 Jan 2016 18:39

Smiley G wrote:
Allan wrote:
Smiley G wrote:Martyn, You'll automatically receive a form S1 once DWP have written to you confirming that "We have decided to award you a pension of £xxx per week"
You do of course have to apply to receive your pension in the first place and a call to one of the excellent people in Newcastle should include the request for an S1 to be sent.
When you receive it, you will need to take it to CPAM in Perpignan to have your status changed. Our mutuelle, Exclusive Healthcare (Ascore Gestion) asked us for copies as well.
Why would Martyn need to have his status changed if he is already in the French Heath system?

Is it obligatory? Or beneficial?
Allan, Yes if you want to join the system. The French authorities have to register the S1 and use it to send back to the U.K. We've done it twice and know the system. When you get your S1 from the Pension Centre you sign your bit and submit it to CPAM who then do their bit with it and forward it elsewhere for onward transmission back to the U.K.
We found that CPAM like to renew their dossier on you so it's best to take with you all your normal supporting paperwork- Legal Certs. EDF bill etc.
Martyn IS in the system but his membership changes* once the S1 is registered.
* The French get reimbursed by the U.K.
My question was, if you are in the system already why does anything have to be changed?

Is there a benefit or obligation to have the cost passed back to the UK?

In my case it is the opposite way around, I got a Carte Vitale using an S1 but I pay taxes and Social Charges in France, so what status do I have.

My thinking behind the question is that if there was a Brexit having a Carte Vitale in my own right might be beneficial.

I dont fully understand by what you mean by 'status', I wasn't aware there were multiple statuses.

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue 02 Oct 2012 23:58
Contact:

Post by Smiley G » Thu 28 Jan 2016 20:16

By status, I mean;
1 A non S1 holder becomes a State pensioner and receives an S1.
2 S1 issued to a state pensioner and possibly their beneficiary/beneficiaries.
3 The beneficiary becomes an S1 holder in their own right.
Perhaps this list is not complete but gives examples of how status changes.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

User avatar
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1768
Joined: Tue 02 Dec 2008 15:08
Contact:

Post by Sue » Thu 28 Jan 2016 21:35

We had CVs, my hubby piggy backs mine as I am the oldest, for 3+ years before I reached retirement age. I had to take my S1 to CPAM once I had received it.
Dylan

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue 02 Oct 2012 23:58
Contact:

Post by Smiley G » Thu 28 Jan 2016 22:18

Sue wrote:We had CVs, my hubby piggy backs mine as I am the oldest, for 3+ years before I reached retirement age. I had to take my S1 to CPAM once I had received it.
We also had initial CVs which, after the Sarkozy law, were only valid for 2 years. We exited the system in 2010 and re-entered it in 2011 following the EU ruling that the French Government had been wrong in denying healthcare to non-French EU citizens.
My wife got her " State Pension retirement" S1 first and I became her beneficiary. I then got my " SP retirement" S1, so my CV was in my own right.
We found the staff at CPAM in Perpignan extremely helpful and as long as you do things their way (the right way) it becomes very straightforward.
A guide is attached;
http://www.french-property.com/guides/f ... etirement/
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

User avatar
JIB729
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat 03 Apr 2010 22:27
Contact:

Updated Question on the S1

Post by JIB729 » Sun 22 Jan 2017 16:53

I have just completed the majority of the paperwork asked for by CPAM and now they have come back asking for the S1 form. I am 62 and still working (overseas) The S1 form seems to be for a stateless person born before 1983 and nothing to do with Health. Can anyone tell me, Do I have the correct form? Cheers John

User avatar
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1768
Joined: Tue 02 Dec 2008 15:08
Contact:

Post by Sue » Sun 22 Jan 2017 17:42

You will not be given a form S1 by the DWP until you reach UK retirement age and in receipt of a state pension. If and when Brexit happens it is highly unlikely you will ever get one.
Dylan

tia
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon 17 May 2010 19:06
Contact:

Re: Updated Question on the S1

Post by tia » Sun 22 Jan 2017 20:22

JIB729 wrote:I have just completed the majority of the paperwork asked for by CPAM and now they have come back asking for the S1 form. I am 62 and still working (overseas) The S1 form seems to be for a stateless person born before 1983 and nothing to do with Health. Can anyone tell me, Do I have the correct form? Cheers John
How can you be stateless? You must be a declared resident in France to beable to get a CV . If you declare your taxes here and have household bills proving you live here then normally you should be entitled to healthcare. If you earn over a certain amount then you may be obliged to pay for your healthcare through social charges which are usually calculated when you do your taxes. Sounds simple but as with all French administration it can take a few months and a load of paperwork to sort out.

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 1379
Joined: Tue 01 Sep 2009 21:21
Contact:

Post by Allan » Mon 23 Jan 2017 03:24


martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Re: Updated Question on the S1

Post by martyn94 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 12:39

JIB729 wrote:I have just completed the majority of the paperwork asked for by CPAM and now they have come back asking for the S1 form. I am 62 and still working (overseas) The S1 form seems to be for a stateless person born before 1983 and nothing to do with Health. Can anyone tell me, Do I have the correct form? Cheers John
I think that every bureaucracy in the world must have a form called "S1". It's a question of scratching around on google until you find the one that's relevant to you. At first blush, you are not eligible for one from the U.K. until you hit 65, and possibly not even then, depending on how long you worked there. As Sue has said.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 » Mon 23 Jan 2017 12:50

Sue wrote:You will not be given a form S1 by the DWP until you reach UK retirement age and in receipt of a state pension. If and when Brexit happens it is highly unlikely you will ever get one.
Oh come on. The British lion is going to roar again, bigly, and the dagoes will be falling over themselves to cut us a great deal. But seriously, I'm not too pessimistic about the future of health coverage: an awful lot of us are Tory voters, and we will soon be able to vote in the U.K. for the rest of our lives.

jamesjohn
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu 04 Oct 2018 09:18
Contact:

Post by jamesjohn » Thu 04 Oct 2018 09:19

Hate to break the news to you Kate - me being just that little bit older than your hypothetical age!! - but retirement age for us is now 66.

There's been a growing amount of pressure on the government with claims that it is being unfair to women born in the early and mid 50's because of the speed at which the retirement age has gone up.
Now enjoy at your pc Live Cricket Streaming now set and get updated Ptv Sports Biss Key for every day to enjoy live cricket.

Post Reply