Dentures

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Dentures

Post by Sue »

Does anyone know if French dentists make full sets of dentures and if so the rough the cost. Before I get any cheeky comments its not for me!
Dylan
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Hi, think dentures is protheses in french. If so yes they do but is pretty expensive. Husband is having this done at the moment, costing an arm and a leg, lol
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Lisa, I think prosthesis might be implants (fixed into the gums)? I may be wrong. Dentures are the removable ones.
I don't know about dentures but I know someone who decided to get implants done in Barcelona as it was cheaper than France but that was with no carte vitale...
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Hi, yes there are implants as well, friend of mine is having them done now. Hubby is not having that though( too much pain involved for him , lol) he has had crowns on back teeth and now has to go once a week for 5 weeks to replace his missing front teeth which will be held into place with what they put on his back teeth. Would that be dentures? I know nothing about dentist work but this is what the dentist has explained to him.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

That sounds more like a 'Bridge'.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Have just had an implant last week - called implant in French :lol: - painful on the purse as Lisa says, but well worth it in the end as once it's done, I'm told that it's permanent and I'll be able to eat as much liquorice toffee as I want. Excellent guy if anyone's interested - very little pain considering they drill up into the bone and I'm a total wuss. Name is Dr Rabinel, surgery at Medipole

The problem with going to somewhere like Barcelona is that you have to have several visits eg I had mine done last Wed and go back this Friday to have stiches taken out, then back again in the next month or so to have the actual tooth fitted. Lot of to ing and fro ing if you had to keep returning to Barcs! Personally, I preferred to pay a bit more, and go for someone who had been recommended as very competent. I know someone in England who has has implants and it's been going on for over a year now - constant pain, fortune already spent, badly fitting plate with teeth in that he takes out at night, whilst waiting (still) for more work on the implants. Whatever you do, go for someone reputable, whether its dentures, implants or whatever. Your teeth/mouth are too precious in my opinion to risk.

Prothèses ais the general work for falsies ie crowns, implants, bridges etc

My advice would be to go and see dentist Jaques Raspaut at Laroque if you need advice from an English speaker. Nice guy, will give you advice and WONT recommend that you have more done than you need. Has saved/repaired several crowns for me which other dentists have wanted to replace, and saved me a fortune at the same time.
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Oh they didn't just choose the Barcelona chap on price, he came recommended from another friend who got him from another friend etc. But I do see your point that with some of these dental procedures it is a case of having a number of visits, I'm not sure how many appointments etc they require but the price was 1/4 of the local quoted price.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Dentures are usually referred to as "appareil" which can mean a multitude of other things as well.

Russell
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

I had appareils top and bottom and I paid about six thousand euros net of my reimbursement from the RAM.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Thank you for all your comments. It wasnt implants I was querying but the good old dentures that come out at night and sit in a glass of steradent on the bedside table at night. :lol:
Dylan
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I've decided to bite the bullet (pardon the pun) and replace all my missing teeth with implants so I've been reading up on the subject.

It seems that the generally agreed European centre of excellence is Budapest which is home to a number of highly regarded dental clinics.

They seem to do the process in 2 visits, one to fit the implants and one to fit the crowns on them.

For a number of implants, the cost saving looks to be substantial and even taking flights and hotels into account, I could buy a new small car with the difference.Plus of course Budapest is quite an interesting place to visit.

I would be interested in knowing what anybody has paid locally and indeed in Barcelona or elsewhere for implants and more about their experiences.
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

I had my work done in Budapest back in 2004 by doctor/dentist/implantologist Tamas Balsai. We stay in touch and I go back when I can for check ups, cleans etc. combined with a break in a beautiful city. I had 14 crowns, 2 bridges and an implant for a total cost of £3000 sterling. They are all still in place and looking fine.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I mentioned this thread, or one on FB, to the dentist and asked how he could justify the enormous price difference. I paid a little over 2,000 per implant. He replied "Ce n'est pas la même prestation" and went on to explain that both service and materials used are a different quality.
I can neither prove nor disprove this so far. All I can say is it has been a very professional and fairly painless procedure so far, and I'm happy that I made the right decision for me, as I am a great believer that we get what we pay for - tho I'm sure there are many exceptions to this rule and vice versa!
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

I discussed this in Budapest. I saw the sealed American, FDA approved package of the titanium implant that was unwrapped in front of me before implantation. Tamas and I have come to know each other well over the years. The man and his surgery are world class and he his highly regarded in his profession and the city.

No one is drilling any part of me if I don't trust them totally.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.