Mosquitos Info and more

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

Stevevvk

Mosquitos Info and more

Post by Stevevvk »

Hi people,
My wife and I and two small dogs will be arriving at Canet Plage on the 29th march for a six month stint as Campsite Couriers, we have done this before in the Vendee but never this far south, we have spent many many months in the south over the years but never in one place.

Mosquitos love to eat me (Steve) and I'm a little worried about the dogs also, does anyone know if there is a Mosquito problem in Canet? and any information at all would be helpful

Thanks

Steve and Ann
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi
This might help as it gives you a website where the mozzies are most numerous (tho much of it fairly obvious really!)
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Tiger- ... ng-for-the?

My personal experience, as a past mozzie magnet, is that they are no worse here than anywhere else warm, and as long as you protect yourself in the evening, you can get away with a couple of bites per season or even none at all! Careful around the étangs of Canet, Le Barcares, Leucate etc if you decide to take an evening stroll. Stick to the seafront where there is usually a breeze.
Bon courage! :lol:

Where dogs are concerned, it is always worth being aware of the Phlebotomus
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/The-Ph ... ial-danger but don't get panicked about it. It DOES exist, and is possibly worth buying them the special collars, pipettes or vacine, but I have mainly heard of it in dogs who roam around at night or live outside in kennels. Once again, this is only my personal experience and others may know better.
Stevevvk

Post by Stevevvk »

Kate wrote:Hi
This might help as it gives you a website where the mozzies are most numerous (tho much of it fairly obvious really!)
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Tiger- ... ng-for-the?

My personal experience, as a past mozzie magnet, is that they are no worse here than anywhere else warm, and as long as you protect yourself in the evening, you can get away with a couple of bites per season or even none at all! Careful around the étangs of Canet, Le Barcares, Leucate etc if you decide to take an evening stroll. Stick to the seafront where there is usually a breeze.
Bon courage! :lol:

Where dogs are concerned, it is always worth being aware of the Phlebotomus
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/The-Ph ... ial-danger but don't get panicked about it. It DOES exist, and is possibly worth buying them the special collars, pipettes or vacine, but I have mainly heard of it in dogs who roam around at night or live outside in kennels. Once again, this is only my personal experience and others may know better.

Thanks Kate,
That is helpful.
I am not a fan of mozzies at all and to be honest the thought of them is overshadowing the whole thing, we love France and working for month at a time is a great way to see more of it, but getting bitten NO.

Steve
Geoman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Geoman »

I used to get bitten a lot until I got advised to take vitamin b1 (thiamin) tablets. I take one a day & have done for the last two years & can honestly say it works. I think I have been bitten about half a dozen times in these two years. It works for me but might not work for everyone but for a couple of £,s it's worth a try.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

The secret weapon for not getting bitten at night is to use Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Spray. I was a mozzie magnet but this oil really does work. In fact I have read it is or was used by British Soldiers when in foreign parts. We dont seem to get many mozzies where we are in Argeles but that being said have just killed our first of the season!!
Dylan
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Geoman wrote:I used to get bitten a lot until I got advised to take vitamin b1 (thiamin) tablets. I take one a day & have done for the last two years & can honestly say it works. I think I have been bitten about half a dozen times in these two years. It works for me but might not work for everyone but for a couple of £,s it's worth a try.
I was curious enough to google this (I am not very appetising to mosquitoes, apparently, but my sister is very much so). Lots of people believe it, but attempts to test it rigorously seem to have found no effect. No reason not to try (it is hard to overdose seriously on vitamin b, unlike some vitamins), but probably only as a backstop.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Last summer I found the Avon product very efficient. I bought it on Amazon.
Another problem has just cropped up though: those "chenilles". Is it true they're only attracted to conifers? There are no more conifers in our garden, but I'm bit anxious 'cos I noticed a number of these "chenilles" marching in Indian file on the road in front of our house. Any ideas on massive destruction? If you want to see the destruction they cause,go & see the trees (or what's left of them) by the lake at Villeneuve de la Raho.
Helen
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lonesome paddy »

A couple of years ago an Irish guy working in the Barcares market told me to drink a couple of cans of Guinness each week and after a while the Mozzies dont bite. It has worked for me and the other half as she was a martyr to Mozzie bites. Ive passed this tip onto neighbours etc and they say it has worked for them as well
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

:D
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands