Healthcare for Americans living in France

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

Time4Change
Rank 0
Rank 0

Healthcare for Americans living in France

Post by Time4Change »

I am an ex-pat American living in France. I am curious to know what other ex-pats do for healthcare here. I am retired & on Medicare, which covers me when I am in the states (not often), but not in France. That has worked ok so far - I am healthy & I visit my doctor, dentist, etc when I am in the states. What happens when I get sick here? I understand the healthcare in France is the best in the world, but as far as I can tell, I cannot access it unless I pay out of pocket. Has anyone else faced & solved this problem?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I am afraid we are mostly Brits and Irish here. But google will be your friend. Routine care from a local doctor (€23 a pop) is cheap enough that insurance is not essential.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

As a condition of Residency, health insurance is mandatory. I suggest you contact the U.S. embassy for advice.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Titre de Séjour Rules for Non-EU Nationals

Post by Smiley G »

PLEASE NOTE THE LAST REQUIREMENT
Non-European Nationals

The process here is more complicated and may depend upon particular agreements between France and the country concerned.

Generally speaking, any non-EU national over the age of 18 who wishes to stay in France for more than three months to work, study or reside without employment must have a residence card. There are different categories of residence card:
Temporary residence permit – usually valid for up to one year
Skills and talents residence card – valid for three years and also renewable
Resident card – valid for 10 years and conditionally renewable on a permanent basis
Retired residence permit – valid for 10 years and renewable

You must submit your application for a residence card in person within two months of arriving in France. Start by asking at your prefecture, sub-prefecture or police station in your place of residence.

If you are living outside of France you should contact the French consular office if you are one of the following categories:
Retired residence (application or renewal)
Residence for the purpose of performance - commercial, industrial or artisan
Temporary residence permit as a 'long-term resident – EC' granted to you or your family by another EU country

Non-Europeans who are staying for between three months and one year also have the option of applying for a long-stay visa rather than a residence card. This must be applied for within three months of arriving in France and through the French Office for Immigration and Integration.

You will need the following documents:
A valid identity card or passport.
Three passport-size photos, photos d'identité (full face and bareheaded)
A recent document providing evidence of where you live (this can be a utilities or rent receipt) - justificatif de domicile.
Proof of adequate resources, or in the case of a student, proof of enrolment in an educational establishment recognised by the French Ministry of Education.
A medical certificate issued by a French doctor. Check with your prefecture for a reference to a doctor or a clinic authorised to provide such certificates or, outside of France contact the French consulate in your country to find an approved doctor.
A full translation (from an registered translator - traducteur assermenté) of medical insurance.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Time4Change
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Time4Change »

Thank you for your responses. I am just seeing these today. :(

I thought I had checked the box to be notified if I had a response, but no email from Anglophone, so I did not check. Anyway - thanks to the advice - very helpful. I appreciate the input.