Wheelchair Hire

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Wheelchair Hire

Post by Lanark Lass »

I have heard that it is possible to hire wheelchairs at the pharmacies in France.
Has anyone taken advantage of this? How straightforward is it?

I have a relative coming over this summer who may have problems getting around so I'm interested to know what possibilities are possible.

Thanks for any info.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I'll ask at our friendly pharmacie and report back
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Check at your pharmacy in St. Andre. If they don't rent the wheelchair, you might find that the store next to the pharmacy possibly will. This is the pharmacy des Alberes (I think it's called this name).

My wife said that the pharmacy in Sorede rents them too.

Good luck, Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
HH

Post by HH »

Normally you obtain a prescription from your GP, but as neither of you pay into the French Social Security System, you will just approach your local Chemist, order one, ( give a few days notice), after use, pay the Chemist the full amount, you will receive a bill ( La feuille de soins). Send it to the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle) , with a photocopy of the relatives EHIC, and the relative will get reimbursed in a few months.

Or do as I do, hire the Wheelchair, pay the Chemist and forget about the reimbursement.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

They are available from the chemist at Argeles Plage on Avenue di Tec next to the bakers. But again I think you would need to reserve.
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I hired one a couple of years ago for my late dad when he came to visit. It was all very easy. Visit the pharmacy, tell them what you want, how long for etc, they will look in their stock and order one in if they do not have one. I was even asked my dads size..........incase he was a larger person. I gave a bond cheque which was returned to me when i took the chair back and paid for the hire in cash then. I seem to think it was about 20 -25 euros for a week.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I have asked at the pharmacie in St Andre. Depending on the season, it may be necessary to reserve one, though out of season it's not really necessary. A cheque de caution is required, but not cashed, as assurance of safe return of wheelchair. they were busy so couldn't look up the price for me, but you would get a feuille de soins and may be able to claim back via your EHIC. the size of the person is relevant, it seems for the positioning of the footrests. Let me know if I can help further