Getting medical service in the UK.

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Getting medical service in the UK.

Post by carol sheridan »

I scalded myself last Monday and the local hospital have put a dressing on but told me it needs changing by a doctor/nurse every two days.
I am flying to Manchester to stay with my sister tomorrow. I have a UK EHIC which is valid until 2015.
Does anybody know if it will be any help when I visit my sister's doctor or practice nurse?
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

It all depends on what their attitude is really, it is suposed to cover emergencies. Why not ask for an ordinance of the dressings you need and take those with you?, have you had the nurse come to you to change the dressing yet in France? see what she/he does .
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Thanks, Opas, I do have a pack of dressings which I bought at the pharmacy before I went to the local hospital today.
The EHIC was issued to me by the NHS when I was resident in France (I think!)
No, I haven't seen a nurse here, just the A & E at the hospital.
I could use my sister's address as a temporary resident.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I have just found out that I can use my EHIC card because I am in receipt of a UK pension!
HH

Post by HH »

Hi Carol,
As I understand it your UK EHIC, is useless within the the UK, you will just have to wait in line, the same as any person, within the UK. The UK European Health card is only valid outside the UK ! Maybe if you pay privately at a BUPA type hospital, you can pay to jump the NHS queue.

Rememberer that within the UK , the GP chooses the priority of your need.

Maybe it would be better if your sister changed your dressings !

Hope you enjoy visiting your sister, but be careful what you tell the UK Medical Service, I had a friend recently who burnt her foot with water from a kettle, she was referred to the UK, Mental health services, they said as a precaution. She got serious investigation, to prove she was mentally capable.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I have looked at the official site for the EHIC and it says I can use the card in the UK.
I had no intention of trying to jump any queues - what on earth gave you that idea? I would be quite happy to sit doing sudoku as I did in the French hospital this morning. I am not saying it would be my chosen way of spending my precious time with my sister, but c'est la vie.
I don't think I will be in danger of being sectioned in a country where I am non resident because I spillt some hot food on me! I think the NHS has quite enough resident patients without looking for more! :lol:
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

For the avoidance of doubt I have copied the following from the official site:
I live abroad. Can I have a UK-issued EHIC? hideThe NHS is a residence-based healthcare system. Therefore, once you have moved permanently away from the UK you are no longer entitled to medical treatment under normal NHS rules.

However, if you're receiving a UK state pension or long-term incapacity benefit, you may be entitled to healthcare paid for by the UK. You will need to apply for form S1 (or an E121 if you are moving to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland), which you need to present to the health authorities in your new country of residence. You will then be treated on the same basis as a resident of that country.
To apply for your S1 or E121 contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or The Pension Service.

You cannot apply online for your UK-issued European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) if you live abroad. You must apply by post using form EHICE, which should be sent to you automatically with your S1 or E121. If you haven’t received an EHICE application, please contact the relevant organization.

•UK state pensioners contact The Pension Service on 00 44 191 218 7777
•UK long-term incapacity benefit recipients contact the DWP on 00 44 191 218 1999
Read more information about moving abroad.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

from Helen

OMG. And you've got to do all that BEFORE scalding your hand!!! :shock:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

EHIC is a european exchange of cover, If you live in UK and are to go on holiday in Europe you apply for it in UK, as I used to do and had to use it a few times too!
Now you live in France you apply to France CPAM or RAM or which system you are in, if I now go to Spain , UK or anywhere else in europe I use this card for emergency only, not for pre existing medical conditions.
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Sorry to disagree Opas but if you are in receipt of UK state pension you can no longer apply for the EHIC from CPAM it must be applied for and obtained from UK. Daft I know but the rules changed for retirees I think in May 2010.
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I bow to my elders and betters :oops: :lol:
Debeneur.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Less of the elders!!!
Dylan