Getting a Carte Vitale

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Getting a Carte Vitale

Post by Allan »

We thought it was time we joined the French health service and applied for Cartes Vitales. I think other members of the forum might find our experience useful.

My wife is of UK pensionable age so is eligible and I qualify as her family member. We started off by calling the Pension Service ,Tyneview Park ,Medical Benefits ,Newcastle upon Tyne NE98 1BA. The phone no. is 0191 21 87777 (+44 from France of course). We had to give them our NI numbers and they sent completed S1 forms for both of us.

We took these to the CPAM office in Rue des Remparts, Perpignan - they sent us away saying we needed additional paperwork.

We returned with:-

Form S1 for us both
Photocopies of our passports
Photocopies of our birth certificates
A RIB giving details of our bank account
A utility bill proving our address in France.

It seems that the above are all essential.

On our first visit we were seen in 10 minutes and on the second in around 20 minutes. There was a screen displaying the fact that last week more than 93% of people were seen in under 20 minutes.

Parking didn't seem a problem, on both occasions we found a place on the street but there are 2 car parks near by.

We were told it would take 2 to 3 weeks to process and we would hear from them by post. So far the process has been pretty painless.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Carte vitale

Post by Sue »

Sorry to dampen your spirits but we started off the same as you but it ended up taking nearly 6 months to get our cartes as Perpignan lost all our papers which we didnt find out for some time. It was only after 3 or 4 visits which were getting more and more frustrating that we began to make progress. You will get a letter eventually asking for passport photos so be ready. You will then get issued with your photo carte vitales.
Dylan
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Wait until you're actually in receipt of your Cartes,Allan, and they work properly,before you get too upbeat about this......
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Does anyone have an update as to where you stand living in France and being a "young" retiree, I read recently that France were allowing young retirees the right to be in the French health system, with proof of living in France and actually drawing a pension, but last week in our local paper it says they have changed their mind again ????
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

carte vitale

Post by Sue »

Marguerite I have emailed you a piece from the June edition of the Connexion Newspaper.
Dylan