Ceret Feria

Fetes & Festivities in the Pyrénées-Orientales/What's on and where..

Moderator: Moderators

rebeccamollart
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ceret Feria

Post by rebeccamollart »

My French teacher (in the UK) gave us an article which referred to the (inappropriate) levels of binge drinking amongst young people in the UK. He has clearly never been to the Ceret Feria - only (unfortunately) half way through the second of three consecutive nights of (cheap) alcohol fuelled celebrations. I have never seen binge drinking (and associated rowdy and inconsiderate behaviour) on such a scale and for so long (three nights until 4am Fri/Sat and 2am Sun) anywhere in the UK ever!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Have to admit that I enjoy a party and a few drinks, have been known to be a bit of a rowdy in my time.....but the Céret Féria takes drinking to a whole new level. Last time we went, there were kids of 12/13 out of their faces and still being served at the bodegas, despite their obvious age. The thing that finished it off for us, was the big trestle table of gendarmes with a table full of pastis, whisky and wine - who were breathalysing everyone as they were leaving! Haven't been back for three years now, and don't feel like I've missed anything! :roll:
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I went once around 7 years ago but never been back.
Dylan
lynda
Rank 2
Rank 2

Ceres Feria

Post by lynda »

My son lived in Ceret for a few years and hated the three days of the Feria as so many men just peed everywhere -inside doorways and on the streets -The smell was dreadful! I noticed this year that there were mobile toilets at last - I wonder if they were used - my son always came to stay with us in Le Boulou with his family during the so called festivities -How many young bulls are killed? We just signed a petition together with 25000 others to stop bull fighting here as in the Spanish Catalonia -will it ever happen ?
lyndyloo
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Feria

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Yes, Lynda, it WILL happen.
Already Collioure & Bourg-Madame have banned bull-fighting in the last 3 or 4 years. The petitions (by anti-corrida societies such as F.L.A.C.- Fédération des Luttes pour l'Abolition des Corridas - and other groups) do influence mayors. I read in the local paper only a fortnight ago that 16 towns in France have just decided to ban this barbaric practice, and a new law is being being promoted to ban under 12-years olds from being allowed entry. You used to see little children being taken to watch the butchery, and I'd "accost" them and ask if they'd like to see knives being plunged into their pet dogs or cats flesh because that was what the corrida was like..

Thanks to people like you who sign petitions, and better still, go on demonstrations whenever/wherever a bull-fight is being held, these sadistic & repulsive events will - maybe slowly - be banned everywhere.
Google F.L.A.C. for more info.

Helen
lynda
Rank 2
Rank 2

Ceret feria

Post by lynda »

Thank you for your interesting reply -I hope that all our efforts do contribute to the end of bull fighting in Ceret. However I think the Picasso connection with bullfighting and Ceret is a strong one and I was upset to find that this years exhibition at the Modern Art Gallery in Ceret was linked to bull fighting -the video is apparently hideous but as yet I have not seen it -Lynda
lyndyloo
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

My understanding is that the ancient tradition of bullfighting in the PO does not go back too far. It's a fairly recent import fom Spain and this expansion was driven by way of reaction to the first stirrings of opposition on the Iberian peninsula.

Unfortunately the Corrida has powerful friends among the media. For example it gets extensive coverage on FR3. Oddly enough it can't be shewn on TV outside our region. There are those who claim it is an integral part of the Catalan identity. Which may explain a lot!
Mary
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Merisin wrote:My understanding is that the ancient tradition of bullfighting in the PO does not go back too far. It's a fairly recent import fom Spain and this expansion was driven by way of reaction to the first stirrings of opposition on the Iberian peninsula.

Unfortunately the Corrida has powerful friends among the media. For example it gets extensive coverage on FR3. Oddly enough it can't be shewn on TV outside our region. There are those who claim it is an integral part of the Catalan identity. Which may explain a lot!
Mary
I'm not the most militant anti-bullfighter, but you only have to read the "tauromachie" reports in the local press to understand that it's an invented tradition: lots of cod-Spanish to describe what we have to understand as elegant slaughter: trois sarsapirellas suivis d'une belle retirada etc etc. Though reading between the lines it seems often to be as messy and inept as you'd expect.