Fete des Vendanges

Fetes & Festivities in the Pyrénées-Orientales/What's on and where..

Moderator: Moderators

Debbie and Noel

Fete des Vendanges

Post by Debbie and Noel »

We went to Banyuls yesterday with family and friends. Had a great day. What a fantastic idea for a public picnic. We nearly did not go because the weather forecast was for heavy rain. But we took a chance and I am glad we did. It was a pity that the wind was blowing on shore because we spent most of the time breathing in wood smoke.

I would not recommend it for anybody who likes peace and quiet. It is very noisy but the ambiance is quite something.

We did meet an English couple with a dog. I thought they might be locals but they were on holiday in a caravan. There was a table flying the Danish and Swedish flags but we never saw a Union Jack. I have come to the conclusion that Brits do not like these kinds of public events.

Noel
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

There was at least one full table of around 14 Brits that I know of for sure, plus plenty of others wandering around. Who cares though what nationalities were there - it was as always a noisy and colourful day full of activitiy and music, with a great atmosphere. As you say, certainly not for those seeking peace and quiet - but I dont really think that is the aim of these festivals? :lol:
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

We went on Saturday. To be honest I thought it was a bit disappointing and haphazard. It seems to be trying to appeal to all sorts - tourists, families, wine-lovers and drunks - at the same time.

Perhaps my expectations were too high. I've been to fantastic wine fairs in other countries and also some nice smaller ones here, Calce and Montpeyroux for example.

Our first visit was Domain Saint Sebastien, who didn't really seem to be entering the spirit of it, not offering tastings but instead a sad looking plate of sushi and a glass of wine to drink. As 2 of us were driving it wasn't very appealing. So we moved on to Cave l'Etoile, where the "reponsable degustations" had gone for lunch!

The brochure suggested there would be loads of stalls selling tasty things to eat as you go around but we couldn't find any and had to resort to a pretty dismal, but necessary plate of oven chips and chicken nuggets to feed the kids.

We then visited Domaine Madeloc and Domaine du Mas Blanc. Both of whom were providing good, interesting tastings, especially Madeloc who had set up a "make your own assemblage" table.

Two smaller, quirkier wineries had set up outside a Vinegar producer's shop with a cool jazz/blues band as entertainment. One was a bit too "natural" for my liking but Domaine Claire-Maillol was a nice discovery for me.

We left around 5:00pm when, admittedly, things seemed to be livening up but the streets were full of very drunk people so I'm not sure it would have been ideal trying to look after two children and my mum in the staggering, red-faced crowds.

Going back to Noel's comment. My daughter met some English people on the beach who asked her "Are you on holiday?". Her response was great. "No, it's the weekend". I'm sure the couple were a bit baffled but to her, it's the obvious answer.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Sunday - no better!!

Post by John & Elaine »

Elaine & I went in a party of a mix of 15 French & English and didn't think it measured up to 2010 which was great. The best thing was the weather and our table position - twixt the loos, BBQs and waterfront! It also missed the usual Naval involvement. Regards wine anyone in or near Banyuls should check out Coume del Mas - the Folio white is superb.

Cheers all
John
tanyabeattie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tanyabeattie »

We were there! On an english speaking table with friends from UK, Norway, Finland, Faroes, France... great day
Debbie and Noel

Post by Debbie and Noel »

We went on Saturday too. It was Open Day at the Laboratoire Arago and we wanted to look behind the scenes. While we were there we walked about to see what was going on. The donkeys were bringing in the grapes for the schoolchildren to tread in the old fashioned way. There were street entertainers and stalls. Lot's of people enjoying a day out. A real carnival atmosphere, Lots of noise and happy crowds. No fights or people throwing up in the street.

Maybe Santiago was somewhere else?

Noel