Troubades Medievales

Fetes & Festivities in the Pyrénées-Orientales/What's on and where..

Moderator: Moderators

Debbie and Noel

Troubades Medievales

Post by Debbie and Noel »

We went to the Serrat d'en Vacquer yesterday afternoon. We were surprised at just how popular the event was. There was jousting and armed combat demonstrations. Even hare coursing using a mecanised hare. Very ingenious. What was a real surprise was when one of the people taking part stepped out from his booth and talked to us in English. He said we were the first English speakers he had heard all day. We had quite a chat with him and his lady companion.

It was a great day out with many interesting exhibits and demonstrations. No admission charge, no parking fees. They do these things so well in France.

Noel
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Thanks Noel for informing us about this event. Its always nice to know that something is worth attending . Think the UK could learn a thing or two about parking charges and free events.
Dylan
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Troubades Medievales

Post by Sav »

Debbie and Noel wrote:We went to the Serrat d'en Vacquer yesterday afternoon. We were surprised at just how popular the event was. There was jousting and armed combat demonstrations. Even hare coursing using a mecanised hare. Very ingenious.
It was a great day out with many interesting exhibits and demonstrations. No admission charge, no parking fees. They do these things so well in France.
Thank you Noel

It always amazes me how they put these events on for nothing & the end result is usually pretty good
The UK could learn a thing or two, but unfortunately most things fall foul of health & safety regulations & everyone knows about the the prices/parking.
I look forward to hearing about other events you might attend & hopefully they will encourage others to visit in the future

Cheers Sav :)
Debbie and Noel

Post by Debbie and Noel »

I only wrote about the Medievales because of what the man on the stall said. It linked with something I wrote after I had been to Argeles carnival.

We go to lots of events. We have season tickets for the swimming baths and Debbie will spend ages in the garden centres. We go to the cinema, have been on coach outings. Even on a package tour to Italy. But almost never meet other English speakers when out and about. Either they do not go to the kind of things we like or there are not too many around.

The next time we go to something good I will try to remember to drop you a line.

Noel
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I too have a season ticket to the swimming baths (Perpignan Uni)
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Anonymous wrote:
Sue wrote:I too have a season ticket to the swimming baths (Perpignan Uni)
Moi aussi!
I am unsure why I am listed above as 'guest'

Will there be aperos ? :lol:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Debbie and Noel wrote: The next time we go to something good I will try to remember to drop you a line.
All feedback is very much appreciated Noel
The more we hear about people's experiences, will hopefully encourage others to see what the region has to offer.
Me & my partner love the area & yes we do like our beach time/mountains
Well it's probably me more as per the mountains :lol:
But we also like exploring & attending many of the events the area has to offer
It greatly enhances our time there, as well as immersion with the people/culture.
We sing from the same hymn sheet

Cheers Sav :)
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

We went this afternoon,I had in tensions of visiting last year but something happened.

Interesting afternoon, starting with the parking arrangements. Directions were to park on Auchan., as we went up the road to Auchan., there was a police lady on duty stopping vehicles from entering the chemin to the event....I asked if there was blue badge parking , she waved us through(after checking the badge)
Then a horse carriage ride up the hill for anyone who wanted, mainly young children , my two joined them grinning.........they are only 16 and 20 years!

A tour of the stalls,archery and fighting displays, jousting, sheep herding....and the list goes on.

Perhaps the original posters were there, heard a few English speakers :shock:

As you can probably tell we did not stay for the fire display.......it does. Nothing for my youngest daughters heart!
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.